• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Desire TL but a Sony owner :( or :)

#1 Medicineman999
Sorry for no proper intro. I discovered timelapse via youtube and vimeo and am smitten and of course want to creat my own.
So googling leads me to the pitfalls/hurdles and then on to Timelapse LR. Quick reading here tells me my camera may be a limiting step SO before diving in I thought I would kindly ask the experts here if timelapse is ever done with Sony cameras. If so then I will proceed. My choices are the Sony A77, a Nex 5, 6, and 7. The 6 can have intervolmeterization via a downloadable app--good or bad I dont know. The 5,7 I've discovered can be intervaled via external IR emitters.
I have an intervalomter for the A77 I use as a simple shutter release (kinda like the old cable release I used on a Nikon F2 many years ago).
Thoughts?
Settings?
Clues muchly appreciated.
#2 Gunther
Why not trying to use that camera if you have an interval timer. Just set all settings to manual and then go for it!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Medicineman999
OK I'm in. I already own LR so will buy the LR Timelapse when I get off work next week.
In the meantime if you can find time please look at this video at the beginning, there is a diver going into water....it seems like the diver is diving at a different rate than the clouds are moving----this intrigues me, how is this done?
I realize this has little to do with the holy grail and the LR Timelapse application, I'm just curious Smile
Thanks again for posting back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKgTqi7N...r_embedded
#4 macronencer
Hi all!

I just joined the forum too, and I'm also a Sony guy (A77). I was going to ask whether I can use Lightroom/LRTimelapse with my camera - I'm hoping I can, but the only thing that was worrying me was whether the Lightroom import from Sony ARW format includes the necessary sidecar files that LRTimelapse evidently uses. Gunther, any chance you could advise on that point? I have a feeling I read somewhere that these sidecar files are not always present, but I can't remember under what circumstances this is true. Sony doesn't seem to be the camera of choice for TL, but in fact I bought mine for making live action videos - I seem to have become diverted into the wonderful world of time lapse instead!

Gunther, the software looks great, and I can't wait to try it! So I hope I can use it with the Sony.

Medicineman999 - my guess is that the diver was shot with a clear sky, and then the sky was replaced with the cloud footage using a matt technique, but I might have missed something! Smile
By the way, some of my first attempts with the A77 can be found on my YT channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP...u_z3s-2AkA
You might find that interesting.
#5 Medicineman999
Macronencer! The moonset and sunrise was GREAT!!! and the cow at the end-very funny. That vid immediately led to the 'chairs' vid-you have a great sense of art and humor.
I was scheduled to purchase this program this week but a surprise tax bill has put me behind schedule 2 weeks Sad
Will it still not work even without 'proper' sidecars? I'm thinking it will but haven't progressed up the knowledge tree as far as you have.
Agreed the A77 (and I have 3 Nex's in the same boat) are NOT idea for TL, for that I should have gone Canon and appreciated the bulb ramping possible there. Regardless timelapse is huge amounts of fun and another venue of artistic expression, so I will do with what I've got.
Glad you posted and thanks for the shout out Smile

(2013-05-30, 20:11)macronencer Wrote: Hi all!

I just joined the forum too, and I'm also a Sony guy (A77). I was going to ask whether I can use Lightroom/LRTimelapse with my camera - I'm hoping I can, but the only thing that was worrying me was whether the Lightroom import from Sony ARW format includes the necessary sidecar files that LRTimelapse evidently uses. Gunther, any chance you could advise on that point? I have a feeling I read somewhere that these sidecar files are not always present, but I can't remember under what circumstances this is true. Sony doesn't seem to be the camera of choice for TL, but in fact I bought mine for making live action videos - I seem to have become diverted into the wonderful world of time lapse instead!

Gunther, the software looks great, and I can't wait to try it! So I hope I can use it with the Sony.

Medicineman999 - my guess is that the diver was shot with a clear sky, and then the sky was replaced with the cloud footage using a matt technique, but I might have missed something! Smile
By the way, some of my first attempts with the A77 can be found on my YT channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP...u_z3s-2AkA
You might find that interesting.
#6 macronencer
Thanks a lot, you're very kind! The moonset and sunrise thing was my most recent work, and probably my best so far, so I'm glad you liked it Smile

Regarding the sidecar thing - please don't assume any knowledge on my part - I know very little about LRTimelapse at this stage and I was just speculating - I think we probably need to let Gunther answer this query.

Nice to find another A77 user around the place!

(2013-05-30, 22:12)Medicineman999 Wrote: Macronencer! The moonset and sunrise was GREAT!!! and the cow at the end-very funny. That vid immediately led to the 'chairs' vid-you have a great sense of art and humor.
I was scheduled to purchase this program this week but a surprise tax bill has put me behind schedule 2 weeks Sad
Will it still not work even without 'proper' sidecars? I'm thinking it will but haven't progressed up the knowledge tree as far as you have.
Agreed the A77 (and I have 3 Nex's in the same boat) are NOT idea for TL, for that I should have gone Canon and appreciated the bulb ramping possible there. Regardless timelapse is huge amounts of fun and another venue of artistic expression, so I will do with what I've got.
Glad you posted and thanks for the shout out Smile
#7 Gunther
(2013-05-30, 22:52)macronencer Wrote: I think we probably need to let Gunther answer this query.
Which query exactly?
#8 macronencer
(2013-05-31, 10:33)gwegner Wrote:
(2013-05-30, 22:52)macronencer Wrote: I think we probably need to let Gunther answer this query.
Which query exactly?

Hi Gunther! I meant my question about the Sony files. Specifically: do you know whether Sony RAW format, when imported to Lightroom, contains the necessary metadata ('sidecar'?) files for LRTimelapse to do its job? I expect it's OK, but I get the impression there are a few differences in other areas between Sony and the usual Canon/Nikon choices, so I wanted to check there wouldn't be any incompatibility issues.

I am enjoying your eBook, by the way Smile
#9 Gunther
The sidecar files are being generated by LRTimelapse when you initialize. If the Sony RAWs are supported by LR (what I assume), they will work with LRTimelapse as well.
#10 macronencer
(2013-05-31, 18:57)gwegner Wrote: The sidecar files are being generated by LRTimelapse when you initialize. If the Sony RAWs are supported by LR (what I assume), they will work with LRTimelapse as well.

Quite a coincidence - I saw this reply just as I was about to post again to say that I had found that piece of information in your eBook! Thanks Gunther Smile

So according to this page, the A77 is supported by Lightroom, and this means I (and Medicineman999) can use it. Yay!
http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop/extend.html

...also check out: