• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Differences on highlights for 2* and 3* in HG

#1 spatience
Hey Gunther and others,

I'm not sure if this topic has already been answered - please excuse me if it has already been covered in a previous post. Do you ever have this problem?

Sometimes when I shoot a sunrise and pointing the lens almost directly at the sun, I get noticeable changes only on the highlight areas where the exposure was changed. Only the whites or highlights show the change in exposure but the rest of the tones and shades in the image have matched well. The issue is the boundary edge of the highlights on the two and three star frames which change in size.

Any advice or tips ? Happy to provide examples if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

#2 yannick_c
Hi, I'm interested to see the exemples images. Going to do a timelapse soon while pointing at the sun and it's a issue I would like to avoid. I think, but it's just a supposition that it could be due to the white clipping in the highlights near the sun due to exposure. When the shutter speed changes (between the 2* and 3*), the white clipping (when shooting) may not be at the same level and may introduce theses changes. But I'll let more advanced timelapsers give advices on this.

Did you do aperture changes or just shutter speed and ISO?
#3 spatience
I have added the example to my first post above to illustrate the issue.

My shoot was for 45 minutes at sunrise. I generally change the ISO first (to eliminate the noise) and then the speed using DSLR Dashboard.
#4 yannick_c
Your highlight seems to be clipped out on the 3* picture. There seems to be a pure white area between the blue sky and the yellow part. You can look in Lightroom for that picture. In the develop mode, you can press "J" to see the pure white and pure black areas. If it's the case, you can try to lower the hightlight and/or white values in your 4* keyframes to see if you can lower that weird effect. If the highlights are clipped out when shooting, it will be more complicated I think.

Do you have that effect only on ISO ramping or also on shutter speed ? When ISO changes, it's a full stop change (on my 550D it's like that, maybe not on others), it may have been a too much change. If it is a sunrise, with ISO going down, the dynamic range due to the ISO value is not the problem (on sunset, when you go from ISO 1600 to ISO 3200 for exemple, the camera is not as sensitive in higher highlighs values and can blow highlights more easily)
#5 spatience
I have already lowered my highlights and whites to bring this down in my workflow adjustments.

Adjusting the 3* to lower the white means I will have to do it to the subsequent ones in the sequence also. Besides, I would expect LRTimelapse to adjust these throughout the sequence rather than me tinker with individual frames.

Thanks.

Has anyone else had this issue ? Gunther - do you have any advice ?
#6 yannick_c
I was talking on asjustments on the 4* keyframes to lower them a little more to avoid the clipping later on the 2* and 3*. Hopefully, we don't have to change the values on 2* and 3* keyframes.
#7 yannick_c
Just watched your videos Stephen, nice work. Sorry, shouldn't have talked about the "J" key in lightroom, you doesn't seem to need advice from me on that.
#8 Gunther
If the highlights are really clipped on one of the images and on the other not, you'll never get a 100% adjustments. Clipped Highlights cannot be fully recovered in post and will always lead to color shifts.
So next time when shooting the holy grail make sure to expose more carefully, especially when the sun is in the frame. Make smaller adjustments (1/3 stops) too then. Carefully observe the Histogram when shooting, as soon as one of the RGB histograms is clipped, make the adjustment.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: