• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Disable automatic updatecheck for Lrt and DNG

#1 olav
I hope I checked all options, because I didn't find and option to disable automatic update-check for neither Lrt nor DNG. Often I use Lrtimelapse to quickly check a sequence in preview, but then I have to cancel the update dialog twice when there are new updates.

I'd rather prefer to disable update checking, and have a separate menu option to check for updates manually.
#2 Gunther
Do you know how many support queries I get from people running old versions which report issues that have been fixed long ago. Also people working with old DNG converters and wondering why the raw files of their new cameras are not properly supported etc. I cannot stress enough to hold those both components fresh to prevent problems. That's why I only give support for the latest versions.

If you really want to turn off that check, find the user.props file (location named at the top of the log file) and add the line

checkVersion=false

Do that while LRTimelapse is not running.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 olav
That's your prerogative Gunther, but most professional software I work with has this option. If users don't get that their problems could be due to old versions, a disclaimer on suppert "Make sure you have the latest version installed before contacting support.", and turning automatic updates on as a default, but give us more advanced users the option to disable automatic update-check whitout the need to edit configuration files.

Or you could add a menu item under "info" that says: "Check for updates" and then I could edit the props file, so I won't have to go to the websites to check manually after editing the configuration file.
#4 mopperle
Looking back how often there was an update for LR (every 2-3 month) and the fact that it takes around 1sec. for the software to check for an update, I do not see any benefit of such an option, when on the other side lot of support request are caused by people not checking for updates.
Gruß/regards

Otto

...also check out: