• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Do all contracts need to grant full copyright ownership to the client?

#1 lukese7
I’ve noticed that many media production contracts grant the client full copyright ownership. In my experience it doesn’t have to be this way. Does anyone have any experience in getting a license back clause inserted into their contracts? I'm talking specifically about ownership rights for the content creator to footage that isn't used in a final project and ends up on the cutting room floor.

Thanks!
#2 John Wildgoose
It depends where you are, I think Canada has the archaic law that the person who commissions the work gets to own the copyright, here in the UK the originator of the work always owns the copyright. I am sometimes asked to sell it, but I always refuse because it means the owner can do what ever they like, which includes re-licencing it for profit... over my dead body.
I have had people purchase a 'buy-out', which means they can use it for whatever purpose they want, for what ever period and in whatever media, but they cannot profit from it, not allow other's free use (which would infringe the copyright).
If a Media Production house is asking you to sign this, then I'd expect they want to sell on the images/video. If I was you I'd take a black marker to that particularl line, sign alongside it, and send it back.

...also check out: