• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dropped frames in cold weather

#1 steinardo
I took some exposures at 1 sec intervals today, capturing the departure of a large ship. In the beginning the interval was running just fine, but after a while a frame every now and then was dropped, increasingly throughout the session. I was shooting at 1/60 on my old 40D with an Aputure TR3C timer. Outside it was around 0 °C.

Then I went back in to the warmth again and started testing the intervalometer. Inside, I was then able to get it running stable at 1 sec interval even at an exposure of 0,8 sec. I saw the post about hacking the cable, but it appears that the camera can deal with only 0,2 sec dark time while warm - which leads me to think that the intervalometer is not bad.

So it seem that cold weather slows down the camera in this respect. Anyone else that have experienced this?
#2 Gunther
Don't know, batteries might be weaker when it's cold, but normally I wouldn't see a direct effect on the possible intervals. But one second is already quite short and might bring the camera to the limit after a couple of shots, I'd definitely recommend the intervalometer hack, especially for very short intervals.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: