• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DslrDashboard - Auto Holy Grail refuses to work as expected

#1 Kevin
Hi

I was looking to try out the above feature, and I am not sure it is working as I expect or I have configured it wrong.

I have set up my D7000 to fire every 4 seconds using the MX2.
Camera in manual mode at f3.5 1/200
I am shooting in RAW+basic so the app has a JPG to analyse.
I have selected the LRTimelapse icon and ticked "Display JPG for next Capture", taken a test shot which appears in the app.
I have select the EV +/- icon at the foot of the screen and set the "Slowest shutter speed" @ 2.0" and Enable (tick) the exposure correction.
All looks good until I tick the "Auto Holy Grail" check box, where I get a "Slowest shutter speed warning"
Slowest shutter speed is the same as current shutter speed.
OR Slowest shutter speed is greater than current shutter speed.
Do you want to continue?

If I say OK, sometimes the tick disappears from the "Auto Holy Grail" option and nothing happens.
Or it starts anyway and changes both the exposure setting and the ISO when the light drops (or I put a post-it note in front of the lens to block out some light.

I was expecting the exposure to drop until 2 seconds, then the ISO to increase.

Any idea why the slowest shutter speed is not recognised?
Or have I misunderstood the AUTO option.

UPDATE - possibly I have got somewhere now...
Having re-read the Wiki page I set it as before, but ignored the Auto Holy Grail and the exposure dropped until it hit the slowest value and the ISO began to increase.

Now what does the "Auto Holy Grail" option do and when should I use it?

Any help appreciated.

Kev.
#2 hubaiz
(2013-09-20, 19:54)Kevin Wrote: Hi

I was looking to try out the above feature, and I am not sure it is working as I expect or I have configured it wrong.

I have set up my D7000 to fire every 4 seconds using the MX2.
Camera in manual mode at f3.5 1/200
I am shooting in RAW+basic so the app has a JPG to analyse.
I have selected the LRTimelapse icon and ticked "Display JPG for next Capture", taken a test shot which appears in the app.
I have select the EV +/- icon at the foot of the screen and set the "Slowest shutter speed" @ 2.0" and Enable (tick) the exposure correction.
All looks good until I tick the "Auto Holy Grail" check box, where I get a "Slowest shutter speed warning"
Slowest shutter speed is the same as current shutter speed.
OR Slowest shutter speed is greater than current shutter speed.
Do you want to continue?

If I say OK, sometimes the tick disappears from the "Auto Holy Grail" option and nothing happens.
Or it starts anyway and changes both the exposure setting and the ISO when the light drops (or I put a post-it note in front of the lens to block out some light.

I was expecting the exposure to drop until 2 seconds, then the ISO to increase.

Any idea why the slowest shutter speed is not recognised?
Or have I misunderstood the AUTO option.

UPDATE - possibly I have got somewhere now...
Having re-read the Wiki page I set it as before, but ignored the Auto Holy Grail and the exposure dropped until it hit the slowest value and the ISO began to increase.

Now what does the "Auto Holy Grail" option do and when should I use it?

Any help appreciated.

Kev.

The EV +/- and 'Auto holy grail' are two separate options.
They can't be used together.
The 'EV +/-' uses the Nikon EV reading to do the adjustment.
The 'Auto holy grail' downloads the JPG image and analyse it's histogram and does the adjustment according that.
#3 Kevin
Thanks for the reply, but I have tried just going straight in fresh.
Straight into LRTimelapse option, check Display JPG for capture, check Auto Holy Grail, and it immediately pops up with the Slowest shutter speed is same as current.
the only place I could see to change that was in EV +/-.

I would like to know how I set the slowest shutter speed otherwise.

Kev
#4 Kevin
Smile WHAT A NUMPTY Smile

I hadn't realised there were more options on the left until I accidentally scrolled the left of the page just now!

Low and behold there it is "Longest Shutter". Obvious now I look at it!!!
I wondered why the last capture information in the bottom left had a title of "Longest Shutter".

It has been a long week, I need some fresh air and a sunset or two.

Smile Kev Smile
#5 Gunther
Please be aware, that the Auto Holy Grail is still work in Progress. Zoltan and me are constantly improving that, so the current status is still a bit experimental. I will make a special tutorial to explain this feature as soon as we have some last things sorted out.
But feel free to experiment with that and let us participate on your experiences.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 Kevin
Thanks Gunther

I was just looking at the "very quick test" I did last night from a bedroom window.
The steps in the exposure a very close, so I had to reduce the threshold in expert settings from .5 to .3 before any steps were recognised as the changes were very small.
If I increased the EV settings on the left of the panel from 1/3 to 2/3 will this increase the steps between exposure changes under Auto Holy Grail?

Kev
#7 wing_nut
Yes, it should from my experience. Itwill wait until lets say a sunset hg... it will wait until its -2/3 ev before it zeroes out itself.

One thing ive noticed though is that when shooting sunsets, after the sun does set, its having trouble applying +ev exposures. I have to sometimes switch from sunset to sunrise just for the auto hg to change. Or maybe thats how it should work?
#8 Gunther
No, sunset will always increase time/shutter, sunrise will decrease.
normally you should only change once at mignight ;-) - i asked Zoltan to do this automatically, so we don't have to get up - but I'm not sure it it's already in..
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: