• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I can't remove flickering with LRtimelapse

#1 Goldstein
Hello,

I have followed this guide by guide The Red Owl Raw Timelapse (http://vimeo.com/32697386), just the LRtimelapse part.

The only difference is I used JPEGs not RAWs.

As suggested on the guide I simply did the following :
1. Selected the folder where the JPEGs are.
2. LRT asked me if should initialize XMP metadata. I chose 'Yes'.
3. I selected the first image shift click the last image so they are all selected.
4. I clicked on Deflicker checkmark (I first tried the defaults but I also tried to go on max smooth)
5. I clicked on Transitions (Auto).
6. I clicked 'Save'.

App told me it saved 100 XMP files.

I loaded up the images as a sequence in After Effects and the flickering was horrible. Exactly same flickering as before LRT. That is LRT didn't change anything in regard to the flickering. I can see the JPGs filesizes are different so it did work on the images, but the flickering is intact.

I think I may be missing something here.
I would really appreciate the help.

#2 Gunther
Hi, hard to say without knowing the sequence, perhaps you could post a screenshot of the preview window after applying the deflicker (4 curves) - make it bigger first (dragging the separator to the right) before posting.

Auto-Transition has nothing to do with deflicker, if you don't make any transitions you could omit this step.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Goldstein
(2012-03-24, 19:26)gwegner Wrote: Hi, hard to say without knowing the sequence, perhaps you could post a screenshot of the preview window after applying the deflicker (4 curves) - make it bigger first (dragging the separator to the right) before posting.

Auto-Transition has nothing to do with deflicker, if you don't make any transitions you could omit this step.

Hi Gunter,

Here : http://vimeo.com/39136210
Password : LRTIMELAPSE

Bracketed footage (3 exposures -2, 0, +2) AV mode, 1sec interval.
HDR merging 3 JPGs with PhotoMatrix Pro.

Then loading to LRtimelapse.
Applied Deflicker, average smooth 20, Strength 20.
Saved
Then loaded to After Effects as sequence.

Would be grateful if you could tell me why the flickering seems the same before and after LRT.

#4 Gunther
I didn't know you were doing HDR timelapse.
HDR won't work very well that way with LRTimelapse.
Normally you would have to deflicker every bracket step individually (there are a couple of threads here in the forum, search for HDR) - but in the current version 1.7.2 of LRTimelapse the "deflicker selected images" feature is not included. I'm going to include it in 1.8 again, sorry.
But then HDR will work again by deflickering the dark, the normal and the bright sequences individually and than applying HDR processing.
#5 Goldstein
(2012-03-25, 16:44)gwegner Wrote: I didn't know you were doing HDR timelapse.
HDR won't work very well that way with LRTimelapse.
Normally you would have to deflicker every bracket step individually (there are a couple of threads here in the forum, search for HDR) - but in the current version 1.7.2 of LRTimelapse the "deflicker selected images" feature is not included. I'm going to include it in 1.8 again, sorry.
But then HDR will work again by deflickering the dark, the normal and the bright sequences individually and than applying HDR processing.

Ok I now took ONLY the EV0 exposures of the timelapse, I mean I disposed of the -2 and +2 exposures, only left the 0. So no HDR, No PhotoMatrix or anything.

I ran LRT on the images (with max deflicker settings) and same thing. There is no difference at all that I can see between what I see before LRT and after LRT Sad I'm sure I'm missing something

See here: http://vimeo.com/39149729

#6 Gunther
What do you mean with max deflicker settings? Please read the instructions in the faq section....there is a certain technique for deflickering, not the more the better. If you crank the amount slider to the max it's no miracle you get bad results.
#7 rosalinse
(2012-03-25, 22:43)Goldstein Wrote: I ran LRT on the images (with max deflicker settings) and same thing. There is no difference at all that I can see between what I see before LRT and after LRT Sad I'm sure I'm missing something

See here: http://vimeo.com/39149729

Hi,
where did you set your reference-area for deflickering?
I suggest to set it on the building in foreground, because in this area the lighting conditions seem to be stable.
The other parts of the images, e.g the sky, have to have changing lighting conditions – that's only natural.
Ahoj
Claudia
#8 Goldstein
(2012-03-25, 22:59)gwegner Wrote: What do you mean with max deflicker settings? Please read the instructions in the faq section....there is a certain technique for deflickering, not the more the better. If you crank the amount slider to the max it's no miracle you get bad results.

I usually read the FAQ and manuals thoroughly (more than thouroughly actually Wink but since I visited this tutorial here it didn't suggest any modifications or changes are needed. So I would say it's quite misleading, shows as if no changes at all are needed. Anyway I will see to it. Thanks for the reply. I will update.

#9 Gunther
It's only because you wrote you put the sliders to the max - my recommendation is to leave the strength slider at default and set the smoothness slider until all local flicker is vanished from the curve but not too smooth. Here is the detailed explanation:

http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-how-...red-curves

...also check out: