• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Eclipse shooting: Is it possible to auto crop and align all images?

#1 dlocher
I searched for an answer, but didn't find one specific to this (if I just missed it, I do apologize).

I took about 120 images of the eclipse in the USA this past week. I was using an external monitor to view Live View (Canon 5DS R) with a solar (not ND) filter.

I was using a 70-200 lens (my 600 didn't work out for me, long story). What I ended up with was images with the sun in various locations of the actual frame. I was using the joystick to set my focal point. When the sun got to the top right, I would readjust camera on my tripod and start shooting. What I ended up with was all of the images showing the sun in different areas of the frame.

So, the question: I want to auto crop/center all of these images (They sun should always be the same size since I didn't change my focal zoom). Will LRTimelapse do this for me? The sun in all of the images is quite small compared to the image, but with them being 50 MP, cropping is easy. I just learned about LRTimelapse this evening and am looking to purchase if it can do what I need it to do.

I did attempt to crop/center all images in Lightroom, but when I made a time lapse video, you can tell they all weren't aligned. I even tried the auto align in Photoshop.

Thoughts? Suggestion? Thanks in advanced!
-David
#2 Gunther
Lrtimelapse can only help to make crop transitions, so for example if you reset the camera position s couple of times, and in between you have the steady movement of the sun, you could use 5* keyframe to mark the positions where you moved the camera, then align the crops in Lightroomand let LRTimelapse do the transition for the crops in between.
But there is no auto alignment feature in LRTimelapse.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 wetcoaster
There is a program called PIPP (Planetary Image PreProcessor) that will centre the images. It is Freeware. It takes a bit to learn but if you check the turoials it will let you know how to do it. It can even create an AVI but I prefer to use a different time lapse creator. I'm looking at LRT4 right now.
#4 daggel
I had a similar problem with a partial solar eclipse. You cannot align the crops with LR. You can't work exact enough.
I would recommend to crop and align the sequence roughly frame by frame and use After Effects to smooth it. Luckily i had some sunspots I could use as fixpoints.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

...also check out: