• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Edelkrone slider (or IFootage Shark) + Emotimo

#1 Olliepop
Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts. They helped me a bunch.

After lots of research I am down to a few system for time-lapse work and a bit of video.
Decision is based on weight (to some extend) and (mainly) size/portability - travel friendly.

I am thinking about purchasing the Emotimo +
- Edelkrone plus v2 (eventually the new Pro version if it is better - not a lot of info on it yet)
- Cinevate Duzi
- IFootage Shark S1

From what I understand the new version of the Emotimo (TB3) adds a 3rd axis movement option with the addition of a motor to move the Emotimo + camera horizontally along the slider. But this means that the slider must have a belt drive of some sort, RIGHT?
This would mean the Duzi is out of the question.

Questions:
1. Can someone confirm that a belt drive of some sort is needed to use the 3rd axis option of the Emotimo.
2. Has anyone used one, if not both, slider(s), i.e. Edelkrone (v2 or Pro) and IFootage Shark s1.

I saw that Emotimo now partners with Rhino gear with a 4ft slider. Seems great but it is too long for me to stick it in my luggage when travelling.

Any other insight much appreciated.
Thanks.
O.
#2 Gunther
Hi O.,
you will definitely need a belt-drive and motor mount as well as a stepper motor to drive the slider with the emotimo. It will work like I explained in this video: http://lrtimelapse.com/gear/emotimo-tb3/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 edelkrone
Hi O,

In a few hours you could find something which could end seeking for the points you mentioned there. Stay tuned for the updates!

Best,

- İnanç from edelkrone
#4 FunkyDoobie
I went down the same path, as was looking at solutions from both Edelkrone and iFootage (the Shark slider). I ultimately decided on a full set from Konova -- long K7 rail, short K1 rail, pan-tilt head, smart controller, etc. Here are the reasons:
(1) The eMotimo looks awesome, but the design of the "platform" used for tilting means that it will not work well for multi-shot stitched panoramas (where a wide angle is used -- with foreground objects) due to parallex errors. Also, some reviews suggested that the platform was not as sturdy as other solutions, and it is limited by how much weight it can bear. I wanted a pan-tilt head that could double as a motorized panoramic head, and the eMotimo just didn't fit this need.
(2) The Konova rails are rated for much higher loads. MUCH higher.
(3) I liked the idea of a fully-integrated system from one manufacturer.
(4) At the time (which was really up until a few days ago), Edelkrone offered a live motion solution, but not really a timelapse solution, as it did not support shoot-move-shoot.

If you search the Web for "Konova" you'll find pretty consistent praise for its quality.

Something to consider...
#5 scotchtape
If you do your research you will find that:

Konova: rails get dirty - sliding gets bumpy/not smooth, defeats purpose of using it for video. Besides that it is "good value". This is what I've read online.

Edelkrone: Great idea, but... balance issues + sticking points during sliding. Again, defeats the whole purpose of a slider for video. Also some units are a bit wobbly? Check Vitaly's forum + other reviews...

I'm sure people use both products effectively, just saying a bunch of people also have had problems with them that you should probably consider.

Emotimo: For the third axis you obviously you need some kind of slider that can be motorized. Does it need to be a belt? Obviously no, but most motorized sliders use a belt system so that's the de facto method. If you wanted you could use a worm drive, or you could make a gear+track, or just use a wheel etc etc. if you make your own stuff. Also you if you can DIY, you can motorize practically any slider.

Sounds like you want something like the Dynamic Perception Stage One. Seems to fit the bill perfectly. Packs down, and you can use it with the Emotimo and use it for timelapse and video.

The only thing that sucks is how expensive it is.

I have the stage zero and it's heavy. I'm picking up a Shark slider for video use, and I'll see if I can adapt it for timelapse as well.
#6 Doubledark
looks like a motion kit has been developed for the iFootage

http://www.newsshooter.com/2014/04/13/na...l-package/
#7 Doubledark
and Kessler have released an interesting motion package.
http://vimeo.com/91488094

making a decision from without being able to look at this gear is so difficult; I'm going to rely on honest feedback from folks on forums that have at least played with these gadgets at shows like NAB
#8 scotchtape
The motor package was estimated to be $2,400.
Not what I would call affordable...

If you already have a motorized slider you could probably adapt those bits to the Shark with a little effort.
Just need some belt clips and some bits for your cart and you're good to go.
#9 Doubledark
then maybe the Kessler system is the way to go

Their 3 axis Unidrive will be $1399US, so possibly $1000 cheaper than iFootage.

iFootage is wireless so perhaps it would be great for those using a jib; for me the saving on the Kessler is a substantial amount of money.

Interesting times.
#10 Raw Media Studios
You might also want to look again at the new DP solution.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117...e-lapse-an

...also check out: