• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Editing JPEG long term time-lapse LR4

#1 sashwa
Hey, 
Im rending timelapses shot from "trail cams" for a salmon restoration project. 

Cameras all shoot .jpg so trying to render those files instead of converting 10s of thousands of files to .dng. 

when i switched to LR4 the long term workflow tab is helpful but now it won't give me previews with .jpgs. 

tried to do with basic workflow, but when i send to lightroom. read metadata, it only editing the file selected not the other hundreds of images, (even when i select all the files and hit read metadata) 

Is there a tutorial for LR4 for the Long term time-lapse?

thanks
Sashwa
#2 Gunther
The only difference between Long term and normal workflows is the filter.
So after using the filter, you can just go until the end of the 2nd row, then export from lightroom. No need to use the visual previews for long term time lapse.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 sashwa
Hey,
still having issues for some reason.

In the original tutorial (LRTL3) it almost looks easier, the deflicker line gives you reference and then you select/delete those that are below it.
Now with LRTL4 I think i have the filter settings working (any recommendations for settings? i have crazy contrasty forrest shot. )
I filtered 4k photos. to 600
bring to lightroom.
flatten images.
* when i load them back to LRTL4 I don't see the flat images/ (i think this is normal, seeing that it says previews don't support editing)
i do s simple deflicker, and then reload. (all you have to do is click deflicker and apply?)
*** when i reload the files to lightroom all my previous adjustments go away and its back to contrasty image. doesn't seem to have decflicker.

thanks for being patient. part of it is I'm trying to edit low res images with lots of contrast Sad

thanks
Sashwa
#4 sashwa
Hey still working on this.
can i continue to use jpg? or should i convert all to dng?
#5 Gunther
If you convert to DNG (you have to do this in LR, whithout any edits applied) you can later use the visual deflicker. This, and faster XMP writing are the only advantages. For this long term stuff I'd probably stay with jpg.
If you want to use DNG for the Visual deflicker, do the DNG conversion right after filtering. Then you will have only the set of filtered images in the folder and you would only convert that smaller sequence into DNG. Then you can use the visual workflow too.

If you have problems with the metadata traveling between the programs, check this faq: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-keyf...vise-versa
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: