• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Problems with banding in Vimeo

#1 nikonman05
Hi!
I just discovered a problem that i`m not able to solve. I first exported a 4k-clip from LRT using MP4-codec. The resulting clip had much banding in the sky. Then i used the ProRes-codec, and most of the banding was gone.
But when i afterwards exported the clip (among others) from Premiere ProCC using the Vimeo Preset 1080pHD, the video on Vimeo again has very much banding in the sky.
I suppose there is a way (or i hope it is) avoiding this problem, but i dont know where to go.
(The outputdata from PPro it this Vimeopreset is 1920x1080 (1,0), 25 fps, Progressive, 1 pass, Target 16 Mbps, Max 20.00 Mbps AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo.)
#2 Gunther
The problem is that Vimeo will reconvert to MP4. MP4 causes banding, especially if the (limited) bandwidth goes to other parts of the sequence. For example, if the lower part of the images is changing a lot, like waves, cars, etc. all the bandwith will go there leaving no bandwith for the sky.
Shooting with shorter intervals, choosing smoother subjects and using Motion Blur Plus in LRTimelapse can help getting the best quality with limited bandwidth.
Check out my Northern Skies film: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/northern-skies-4k/
You won't see much banding there even on the limited bandwith the Youtube offers, because the sequences are slow and smooth.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 nikonman05
Ok, i will remember your points. By the way, i slowed the clip down with Twixtor in Ae, but dont know if that can be the problem. It looks very good when i look it in the Quicktimeplayer. Maybe its too dark and i should increase the exposure a little?
Take a look here in full screen, and keep an eye on the right side of the polar stratospheric clouds
#4 nikonman05
If i want to make changes to one already rendered sequence, is it enough to go the the folder in Lr, make the changes to the first image and copy it to the rest? Or do i have to take it all through LRT og Lr as i do in the first place?

EDIT: I think i figured it out. I changed the 4starimages in Lr, saved the metadata, and reloaded it into LRT Smile
#5 nikonman05
Just wonder, could the banding in the sky (which i have on several sequences) occur because I´m shooting RAW 12 bit and not 14 bit in camera, and exporting as 8 Bit TIFF from Lightroom LRT-exporter?
#6 Gunther
Unfortunately your video cannot be played. But I don't think that either 12bit or 8bit tiffs will be actually resposible. Of course, in theory they could - but in practice the 10MBPs recompression of Vimeo is the bottleneck.
#7 nikonman05
I´m asking because I also have banding in the sky in 4K-rendered sequences from LRT.
#8 Gunther
Like I already explained, it's always a question of the content of the scene vs. the bandwith of the encoder.
So, please show us your scene and then explain, wich settings you used for rendering. Of course MP4 with low quality will easier produce banding then ProRes in High quality.

In the LRTimelapse workflow with intermediary TIFF files you have only one compression happening: when when exporting to H.264/H.265 or Prores.
When using intermediary JPGs you have the JPGs too being compressed first, but most likely this will not have an influence as big as the video compression.

So the best quality will be TIFF intermediaries and Prores.
But all of this will then suffer, when you upload to Vimeo.

And, as I said earlier, just by using the right shooting techniques and choosing the right subject without too many changes between frames, will tremendously help in reducing banding.
#9 Gunther
It's always the same story. When positioning the camera so close to the shore, the bottom part with the water changes drastically from frame to frame, this consumes a lot of bandwidth. This means, the encoder puts all its bandwith to the changing part because he "thinks" that mus be interesting. It leaves not much bandwidth for the sky (not moving = not interesting). Don't forget, that Vimeo compresses to not much more then 10 MBps, no matter what footage you upload.
Using long exposure times and MBP helps, but in this case this is not enough.

Solution: avoid putting the camera to close to water or waves when you focus on the sky.
#10 nikonman05
That was a good learning, Gunther! I would never been thinking about this, knowing absolutely nothing about bandwith. This shooting was done with a fisheye, so not possible with a nd-filter=longer exposure. Luckily I was shooting several sequences taken with other cameras from the same place to my Polar Night-film, but farther up from the beach.

...also check out: