• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Effects of reference value on the final timelapse

#1 labadie
Hi, and many thanks to G.Wegner for this awesome software. In January I knew nothing in photography except pushing the button of my bridge in auto mode, and now I'm able to shoot my firsts holy grails from sunset to milky way ! Timelapse has been for me a motivating way to learn all the basics in photography !

I have a question about the influence of reference value in Qdslr : During dark nights, this value often goes low (3000-3500), even with a good milky way exposure, with normal settings (ISO 5000 / 10s for example with my Samyang 24 mm at f2). And before the sunset, this value is above 8000 for a correct exposure.

Of course I can lower the reference value on Qdslrdashboard from the sunset to the milky way rise, and in fact I want to see some darkening in my final timelapse. I only want to know how LRtimelapse deals with this darkening : Will Lrtimelapse try to compensate the darkening and make all the frames equal and adjusted to the beginning value (a feature I don't want) or will it only smooth the luminance jumps / irregularities on a decreasing (or increasing in sunrise situations) trend made by reference value adjusting ?
#2 Gunther
Great, to hear about your motivation!
In fact currently you should decrease the reference value a couple of times while it gets dark if you want to go till the milky way. Later in LRTimelapse you use the holy grail wizard, with the rotate and offset sliders you can do rough adjustments to the end expose, the fine adjustments you do in Lightroom when editing the keyframes (via exposure)

Mobile via Tapatalk.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 labadie
Thanks for your answer and have a good trip in South America and Galapagos Wink
If the holy grail wizard doesn't negate the effects of exposure editing on the keyframes, it will be a good solution, with the rotate slider.
In fact I was afraid of a potential problem : If holy grail wizard tries to adjust darker milky way frames at the end of the sequence to the light values of the sunny beginnings, a lot of noise may be created in those dark frames !

This one was my first attempt a few weeks ago, already happy with it (I'll edit the sequence in a better way later), it will be part of a much bigger and longer timelapse project in my island (Reunion Island) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTQjUuYc6Lc
#4 Gunther
Great, looks good! I've been to La Réunion a couple of weeks ago and it's a marvellous island! Enjoy!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
Question --> about Reference
victorwoo
2019-05-25, 23:32
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: