• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Efficient Use without Lightroom?

#1 marklapwood
Hi Gunther and Team, in light of the revelations this week that Adobe now expects to have access to view and analyse all of our images when we use their software, I would like to stop using their products entirely.

Is there an alternative software program we can use to Read & Write Metadata and bulk process images aside from Lightroom? Or is there a way to process Raw Timelapse sequences without Adobe’s products?

Thanks in advance, Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#2 Gunther
Of course you can use LRTimelapse without Lightroom. That's called the "internal workflow". There is a tutorial about this on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/

Apart from that, it's simply not true that Adobe will analyze all of your images just like that.

My thoughts are that introducing AI tools made it necessary to change the license terms and say, that parts of images could be transferred to their servers for analyzing. How else would such server powered AI tools work. But this doesn't mean that they will do something with your images apart from using them to apply those algorithms and probably learn their algorithms.
An example would be the AI Noise Reduction.

While you can use LRTimelapse without Lightroom, you will still need the adobe DNG Converter. Since with LRTimelapse we don't access those AI tools, you don't need to fear parts of your images being transferred to Adobe.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 marklapwood
Thanks Gunther for your response. I respect your opinion and you may be right, but there’s a furore happening online about this right now and I expect it’s for good reason.

I’m also pretty over the high cost of monthly subscription which adobe charges, which is another reason for asking about avoiding Lightroom.

Have you made a tutorial video on how to use LRT without Lightroom? If so it would be great if you can link to it here please.

Thanks again, Mark

#4 marklapwood
Oh I found it, here’s the link:

https://youtu.be/7pMbXkq47BI?si=h8ehg7hu_8GhLP5m

Thanks again, Mark

#5 Gunther
Adobe LR Classic in the Photographer's Edition (Lightroom Classic and Photoshop) can be obtained for 70-80 bucks a year on many occasions, for example black friday on amazon. This is 6-7 bucks a month. Sorry, but this is a bargain for what those programs deliver.
Quote:there’s a furore happening online about this right now and I expect it’s for good reason.
Yes, there is tons of furores happening every day on social media. But I don't agree we should always expect they are for a good reason. That's more the nature of "social media". And that's why I avoid it. I think everyone should do own researches and really try to figure out what's really the deal and how it affects one personally.
There is a lot of anger these days and personally I feel people spend too much time searching for things they can make angry youtube videos about or watching those videos instead of just doing positive things and being creative, enjoying.
My personal 2ct.
#6 Warrestanley
HI Gunther, I agree with Marklapwood.
I used to get Photoshop and LR for $10/mo, now they have increased it to $20. As soon as you stop paying, you can't even use an old version.
I just can't afford to continually pay for their software. I have now moved to the Affinity suite. As a result I can't now use your software. My LRTimelapse software is now useless.
Please could you consider finding a way to integrate other softwares.
#7 Warrestanley
Hi Gunther
Perhaps I was too hasty. I have watched the video referred to by Marklapwood from 2 years ago for using LR timelapse without Lightroom. It looks possible, although limited.
It would really be great if we could have full functionality somehow without LR.
#8 Gunther
First of all, yes you can use LRTimelapse without Lightroom since a couple of years already. There is an official tutorial about this on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/ (internal workflow). Still this uses the Adobe Camera Raw engine provided by the (free) DNG Converter.

Quote:I used to get Photoshop and LR for $10/mo, now they have increased it to $20. As soon as you stop paying, you can't even use an old version.
Multiple times a year there a are offers at Amazon and others where you can get the Photography Subscription (Lighttrom Classic + Photoshop) for 70-80 Bucks a year. Setup a service like Keepa to notify you when it happens again.
That's a bargain for what you get. Lightroom has evolved so much in the last years, why do you expect to pay the same you did 10 years ago? There is a lot of development going into such product.
#9 mopperle
Quote:I used to get Photoshop and LR for $10/mo, now they have increased it to $20.
Not sure where you got this from. Price is still $9.99 with 20GB cloudspace: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html
Gruß/regards

Otto
#10 Gunther
Yes. No need for the large cloud space. Just get the "Photography Bundle" with Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and 20GB. You won't need that cloud space anyway.

Unfortunately the Adobe site is confusing by design. Instead, you can just buy a yearly "charge up" code via Amazon. This will give you a code that can use to activate the subscription in your adobe account. This is the right product (currently at the regular price for one year): https://amzn.to/4bhZuoA

But as I said, it might be worth waiting until next prime day or any other special offer where you can usually get it for much less. Then you can even buy 2 or more times for the low price and load up your account for several years for the current price.
A service like https://keepa.com can help find the lowest price.

...also check out: