• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 csalome
Hi,

I use a Canon EOS 40d and i have activated embedded jpeg in raw.
When i copy the CompactFlash Memory Card to a directory with Windows 7, i get 2 files for each frame : the .JPG and the .CR2

In LRTimelapse, i get also 2 files for each frame.

Is it OK, or should i have only the .CR2 file from which LRTimelapse extracts the .JPG to get the preview ?

I have found that the .CR2 file contains the .JPG file.
to verify that :
- copied images from my CompactFlash card to a directory with the integrated card reader of my Dell XPS 8000
- got .CR2 and .JPG files
- deleted the .JPG files
- extracted the .JPG file from the .CR2 file with Quick JPG From Canon CR2 files
- i get the .JPG file

It rests to be confirmed that i can submit only the .CR2 files to LRTimelapse, and ignore the .JPG files.

csalome.
#2 alexnail
All RAWs contain tiny jpegs embedded within them. These are actually what the camera displays when you review RAW images. Shooting in Raw+jpeg creates an additional 'standalone' jpegs usually of a larger size than the embedded jpeg. LRT uses the embedded jpeg for luminance information. I doubt that it would look for your additional, larger jpeg because there is not need for it.

To confirm, you do not need to shoot RAW + jpeg however LRT will work with both RAWs and JPEGs. That said, if you are doing holy grail changes then RAW is the only method that will give consistently good results.
#3 csalome
(2013-04-10, 19:27)alexnail Wrote: All RAWs contain tiny jpegs embedded within them. These are actually what the camera displays when you review RAW images. Shooting in Raw+jpeg creates an additional 'standalone' jpegs usually of a larger size than the embedded jpeg. LRT uses the embedded jpeg for luminance information. I doubt that it would look for your additional, larger jpeg because there is not need for it.

To confirm, you do not need to shoot RAW + jpeg however LRT will work with both RAWs and JPEGs. That said, if you are doing holy grail changes then RAW is the only method that will give consistently good results.

I have disabled RAW + jpeg on my camera.
After transfering on my PC, i try to extract the mini jpeg with QuickJPGfromCR2. It finds no jpeg file in the VR2 file.
If i enable RAW + jpeg, QuicKJPGfromCR2 can extract the jpeg from the CR2 file.
So i suppose that LRT cannot extract the jpeg file if i do not enable RAW + jpeg on the camera.
#4 csalome
(2013-04-10, 19:57)csalome Wrote:
(2013-04-10, 19:27)alexnail Wrote: All RAWs contain tiny jpegs embedded within them. These are actually what the camera displays when you review RAW images. Shooting in Raw+jpeg creates an additional 'standalone' jpegs usually of a larger size than the embedded jpeg. LRT uses the embedded jpeg for luminance information. I doubt that it would look for your additional, larger jpeg because there is not need for it.

After transfering on my PC, i try to extract the mini jpeg with QuickJPGfromCR2. It finds no jpeg file in the VR2 file.
So i suppose that LRT cannot extract the jpeg file if i do not enable RAW + jpeg on the camera.

This test was made with my Canon G11.
I made a new test with my Canon 40D DSLR, and it works as you say : without RAW + jpeg i can extract the mini jpeg file with QuickJPGfromCR2.

It seems that the CR2 file format is different between a compact and a DSLR.
The problem with my G11 is that QuickJPGfromCR2 cannot extract the mini jpeg with this model.
But i cannot be sure that LRT can

I can adopt the following :
- RAW + jpeg on my g11
- RAW only on my 40D
#5 csalome
(2013-04-10, 20:26)csalome Wrote:
(2013-04-10, 19:57)csalome Wrote:

This test was made with my Canon G11.
I made a new test with my Canon 40D DSLR, and it works as you say : without RAW + jpeg i can extract the mini jpeg file with QuickJPGfromCR2.

It seems that the CR2 file format is different between a compact and a DSLR.
The problem with my G11 is that QuickJPGfromCR2 cannot extract the mini jpeg with this model.
But i cannot be sure that LRT can

I can adopt the following :
- RAW + jpeg on my g11
- RAW only on my 40D

I have verified that exiftool can extract the embedded jpeg from the raw file (without RAW + jpeg) with my 40d and my G11, and it is OK.
As LRT uses exiftool, i suppose that it is also OK.
So i will disable RAW + jpeg in every case.

...also check out: