• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Impact of Differing Interval Times

#1 DarrenC
Hi,

I have the Vello Shutterboss wireless remote, which is simple to use; however, I've found that if I have a 2 sec exposure and I want a 5 sec interval I have to program the Vello for 7 seconds as it counts down once the shutter opens as opposed to after it closes.

So for a sunset shoot starting with say 1/30 and ending with 1 or 2 seconds, with a 7 second interval, the interval time will decrease throughout. (from 7 sec minus 1/30 down to 5 sec)

Is there a noticeable (or negligible) difference between 1 to 2 second interval change? And at what point does it start to make a difference in the overall output?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks.

DC
#2 Gunther
I think you are thinking wrong - every interval timer counts the interval from the opening of the shutter to the next opening. This is the defninition of "interval". The different exposure times will just have to fit into the interval.

So if you have 7 secs interval, at the beginning you might expose with 1 sec, then you have 6 secs darktime. At the end you expose with 5 seconds, and have 2 sec. dark time.

Otherwise the time lapse would accelerate later when playing.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 DarrenC
Thanks Gunther! So I'm coming at this wrong. Exposure + Dark Time = Interval. I was thinking of it as time in between each exposure (i.e. end of one to start of another). But it does make make sense that the timer triggers the shutter open to next shutter open, so your exposure time needs to fit within plus some buffer time.

Another curious question, I'm shooting a Nikon D810 so large raw vs. small raw?

Cheers!
#4 Gunther
I'm not impressed at all about the small raw setting in the D810 - the files are not much smaller in comparison to the loss in resolution. I do not use that setting. I'd rather use the DX-Crop mode when shooting with a D810 to get smaller images if applicable.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 DarrenC
Thanks Gunther! I never considered the DX crop mode RAW option. I'll give that a try. I love the large raw files for stills, but I shot a 500 frame TL last night on large RAW and the folder was close to 20GB!

Cheers!

...also check out: