• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Expanded Search By Criteria

#1 Drew Fulton
I'd love to see the "Select By Criteria" feature expanded to allow a much more robust selection capabilities based on specific bandwidth options and possibly even other criteria.

This idea came out of an attempt to process a long term seasonal time-lapse that had included both night and day images. When using the workflow in the tutorial video, I run into problems when getting to the select by criteria step. Because basically half of the images are mostly black (night) and half of the images are much brighter but not pure white (day) the linear deFlicker line is fairly low (think dusk/dawn images). The current sliders that don't have a scale to them only will select a tiny proportion of my images even when at the extremes. My goal is ultimately to get rid of the night images (either by selecting the day images, inverting the selection, and then deleting them OR by selecting just the night images through suggestion #2 below). Once I am down to just the day images, I can then do another iteration of deflicker and selection and continue with the workflow from the tutorial video.

I have two suggestions that could solve this problem in my workflow.

1) Expand and add a scale to the sliders in the Select by Criteria Dialog. At one extreme 0 images should be selected while at the other extreme all images should be selected. This would allow me to place the slider on the Highlights side to select all of the day images and use the Shadow side to select just a few images (the dawn/dusk images) but not the extreme black images from the nights.

2) Another way to select images would be to create a way to select images based off of their metadata. This would allow users to select using a query from any of the metadata but I am most interested in the calculated Mean value. For example, in my case, I would like to select all images that have a Mean Brightness value of less than 0.1. This would give me a chance to simply select all the dark images from the night and delete them directly.

I understand Option #2 would be a more complicated solution however I hope that option #1 would be much simpler to implement.

Thanks for your help and consideration! I am at the beginning of a project that will have dozens of long term, seasonal time lapse sequences to process and this will save me hours and hours of processing time down the line. Thanks!
#2 Gunther
There will be impovements and new filters in the next version.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Drew Fulton
Excellent! Thanks so much for including this! Can't wait to use it!

Drew

...also check out: