• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Explanation of the Auto Holy Grail

#1 lschaudies
Where do I find an explanation of the Auto Holy Grail feature and usage of the EV+- buttons. The LRTimelapse manual I found is different from the version currently included with DSLRdashboard.
Thanks
#2 wing_nut
I am also have been messing around with this new feature. i am getting mixed results: sometimes it will work normlly, other times i have to change from sunset to sunrise in the middle of the sequence for it to work somewhat normally.

Another thing i am interested but never had the chance to test it out is the exposure compensation. it seems like its independent of the auto hg feature.

But i believe Gunther is working on a tutorial...
#3 Gunther
Let us get this feature a bit more stable then I will make a tutorial. Currently it's work in progress!
Auto Holy Grail is totally different story from the EV-Auto. The former works quite well already and is the way to go, it uses histogram analysis to make the adjustments.

In brief:

Set the longest Shuttertime and highest ISO you want to reach. Shutter will be increased first, then ISO.

Shoot as usual and observe the histogram, but occasionally clicking on "Display next JPG". Once you have an "optimal" exposure, activate "Auto Holy Grail".
This will set the Reference value to 10% under the current "float AVG" level.

The float AVG will now decrease as it gets darker and once it trespasses the reference value, the adjustment will take place.

You can now leace this on auto until you eventually notice, that you have to go darker (or lighter) - in that case just change the reference value with the +/- buttons to change it.

That's basically it!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 lschaudies
Thanks a million. I have been trying to use Auto Holy Grail without understanding what I was doing with it, now I have some guidance. I didn't even know about the auto EV algorithm separate from Auto Holy Grail. There is a lot of stuff over in that corner of LRTimelapse portion of DSLRDashboard which I have just been guessing what it is for. This will be a fantastic help when you get it worked out. Maybe I can cook dinner while shooting sunset!
Larry
#5 lschaudies
OK, so I'm out shooting the sunset now. What is your cue that you need to change the reference value? The Float AVG is getting larger as it gets darker on my setup. No wait, it got way larger, now it is getting smaller. No, I'm not shooting into the sun. What is float AVG? A measure of exposure? Where is the automation if I have to monitor the Float AVG and reference etc? I think I could figure it out if I knew what the software was trying to do. I would suggest that since Auto Holy Grail and the auto EV thingy are in the software release it would be useful to supply some info. I would be glad to supply feedback if I knew how to use it.
Thanks again for all your hard work with this.
#6 wing_nut
It basically will do auto holy grail in HALF the sequence. For now, it can do the first half very well (At least from my tests) I left it on auto the first half.

After sun sets, it cannot auto holy grail to increase exposure. I have tried setting it to sunrise and it would not auto hg.

See screen shot. Although I did made the second half of my adjustments in -1/3 EV. The first half in auto was +1EV
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#7 Gunther
The Auto holy grail seemed to have worked fine, only the jumps were not all detected by LRTimelapse, so just set the threshold in the LRTimelapse settings to 0.1 and launch the keyframes wizard again. This will get you going! (you should have got a dialog telling you to do so)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: