• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Export Stalls and Fails

#1 MandicReally
So I'm new to using LRTimelapse, just picked up a Pro license for a couple of projects and hoping to use it much more moving forward. However I'm having a terrible time trying to export out the photos so I can render these clips.

I've got two projects on two computers, my desktop and my laptop. One project is 7800 photos (a 3 day timelapse, that I should probably break up into days). The other is a 2200 photo Timelapse of a 3D Print. Both are exporting so slowly they seem to be standing still. I selected the 16-bit Tiff Export setting as I wanted to maintain maximum quality. One project is a client job so I don't want to be cutting quality if I can help it. Both timelapses were photographed on the same Panasonic Lumix GH5 camera, so they aren't astronomically large RAW files (.RW2).

The Laptop has been exporting for 2 hours and has only done 118 photos of out the 2200. Is this normal behavior due to the quality setting or is something up here? My laptop is a couple generations old Intel processor, so that doesn't shock me. The 7800 photo timelapse is on my main PC which is an AMD Ryzen 9 16-core processor with 64GB of RAM, that should churn through photos no problem, and it just isn't right now. Never have any problems editing with Lightroom normally. Both PCs have had Lightroom just crash out (no errors, just closed), my Desktop fully crashed once, I just don't know what is up here.
#2 Gunther
Exporting thousands of Photos in 16 bit Tiff will be demanding for any computer. Also you would need plenty of SSD space to store those intermediary sequences. I'd recommend to go for JPG intermediares, especially with older computers.
Several generation old laptops are usually not the best choice for timelapse editing, especially not with TIFF files.

I'd recommend to use the faster desktop and the latest Lightroom Classic to export. Adobe has vastly increased export time and parallelized the tasks in the last updates. Also, of course, export time depends on the edits that you did. Especially lens corrections, denoising, etc. are time intensive - especially when applied to thousands of images.

You can do all the editing and then let the export run over night, that's what most timelapse photographers do :-)

PS: If Lightroom crashes during export, this is not a good sign. It could me some incompatibility with the Graphics card, thermal issues or whatever on your computer. But this is only a long distance shot - that's something more related to LR than LRT.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: