• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Extended battery for Canon 6D, not the battery grip

#1 Thornburg
Does anyone have a complete solution for extended battery for the Canon 6D. I don't want to use the ridiculous sized canon battery grip.

Wanting something for day long shoots.
Thornburg Media

Amon THornburg
#2 Gunther
I'd recommend to use no camera grip at all, it just makes the camera more unstable.
For time lapse you can easily build a power supply with a dummy battery, I've once explained that in my german blog, you might use google translator to get the idea. That at least, how I do it.

https://translate.google.com/translate?s...&edit-text=
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Thornburg
Thank you Gunther.

I have a battery that puts out the exact voltage , I think 8,9,12 volts. I cant find the connector for the battery dummy.

Nice tutorial for you Nikon folks.

I am using the Stage one slider so I want to keep that weight down from using a battery grip.
Thornburg Media

Amon THornburg
#4 Gunther
You have to solder the cable, it's easy and will work for canon too, i've used it fequently with my 6D.
#5 Thornburg
I think I have found a solution for the canon folks. Mine being a canon 6D. Now to find a battery that's 20000 mah. I used your article and compared. I found a high capacity battery that has 9,10,12,20 volts. I will still use a capacitor in the middle incase the voltage were to spike.

I am very disappointed that camera manufacturers with the cameras able to do 4K content are not making these type of batteries available. Cant wait for Black Magic to make a DSLR. I am already after a 4K pocket Cinema.

http://www.adorama.com/IPRLP25.html

Gunther if you ever wanna make your way to the Blue Ridge Mountains... You are my guest. I may make it back to Germany for work or to visit with a few DJ's.
Thornburg Media

Amon THornburg
#6 Gunther
Thank you Amon ;-)
#7 Z10silver
Hi Gunther, thank you for posting these instructions. I just received the RAVPower power bank (Model RP-PB14). I notice that with this model I have the option of selecting 9V DC output. Since I am using a Canon 6D and would need only 7.2V, would it be best to save power and set the battery output to 9V instead of 12V, or is the higher voltage necessary? I will also still use the LM2596 voltage transformer. 

Thank you,
Zach
#8 Gunther
No, I think you could use 9V too - but since most of the time lapse guys (including me) use the Powerbank mainly to power motion control hardware with 12V, we set the Bank to 12V - this will then power the camera too.
#9 KidsOfAllAges
You might want to check out Hawk Woods products: http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/cables.php?se...les_Output
They have ready made power converter solutions for all kinds of in- and outputs, especially V-Mount and XLR. Using a professional V-Mount battery to supply power to moco rigs and cameras might seem overkill, but these are very reliable and there are some which are quite affordable (small IDX, SWIT, Switronix). If you are into seriuos business, check out the batteries made by Bebob. These are made in Germany and rock solid, highly recommended.
kids-of-all-ages.de

Motion Control Rental, Sales & Service
Timelapse Slider, Pan &Tilt, Controller

Offizieller Distributor von
Dynamic Perception, eMotimo, Rhino Camera Gear, TBox Systems
& Berkey System

Wir sind Partner der Teltec AG

#10 Z10silver
Thanks Gunther, I followed your directions and it seems to be working! One question I have regarding the optional step of connecting the AC adapter: in your photos you show this piece soldered to the "output" end of the transformer (along with the wires connected to the dummy battery). I assume this is because you are using the AC adapter to power other motion-control electronics as you mentioned above. However, if I wanted to still have the option of powering the camera via wall outlet, would I just solder the AC adapter to the "input" end of the transformer instead? 

Thank you,
Zach

...also check out: