• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Featue Request Cinema DNG

#1 Andy Schonfelder
Hey Gunther,

I've never managed to get Lightroom to export to the video colour profiles. Though they're in what I believe is the right folder, it just doesn't (or didn't in v4) see them. I've not persevered though as AE has them all.

My current workflow is to grade sequences through LR/LRT, re-touch (if required) in AE, then export a 16 bit tiff sequence in Rec 709 (16-235) which I will open in Resolve. This maintains the colour look from LR to AE to Resolve while also maintaining any over/under levels from the original raws. So if in the final grade I need to recover some highlights, I don't have to go back to the raws to do it.

It's not an elegant workflow but it does sort of work, but only sort of. Resolve handles DPXs far better than it does tiffs, but this is a workflow designed for film really, and I'm yet to master it. But Resolve does support CinemaDNG, with GPU accelerated realtime debayer, and this is clearly a feature Black Magic are working hard on (it's what their own cameras shoot).

Adobe DNG convertor doesn't produce CinemaDNG compliant sequences. My understanding is that the DNGs have to contain limited previews and certain metadata (like frame rate) for apps like Resolve/Premiere to recognise the sequence as CinemaDNG. Magic Lantern have managed to get their RAW video data into CinemaDNG sequences that work in Resolve and can be imported in Adobe Premiere (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.0). It would be a huge advantage, to me for one, but I'm sure to many other LRT users, to be able to open RAW timelapse sequences in the same way.

Even if in the end we're back with LR/LRT/AE to get the very best out of the footage. It would be wonderful to preview from DNGs in Resolve, export proxies from there to edit, reconform to an EDL in Resolve, then be able to take only those shots that need it through the full process. And if LRT could embed settings in the DNG metadata that Resolve would respect, then this would be a really elegant workflow.

That was my thinking anyway.

Andy.
#2 Gunther
I'll look into it, but this can still take a bit.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 svolcko
I'm also interested in using Resolve as part of my workflow. It would be great to retain the ability to continue working with RAW files in a 3rd party grading software like Resolve (or possible AE), while still retaining the settings applied from LR/LRT.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Maybe we could make use of Resolve's render capabilities for faster encoding?

...also check out: