• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Feature Request: Incorporate ND filter in workflow

#1 KenV99
Hi,

I'd like to request a feature in DSLR Dashboard - the ability to incorporate an ND filter into the workflow. I frequently like to use an ND filter to increase the shutter time as a timelapse transitions from/to a brighter scene. I use it mainly to try to blur out people, birds, etc, that are distractions in the scene by using a longer exposure.

It could be in the workflow similar to changes in ISO or shutter speed. If going from day to night, and knowing the strength of the filter, if the filter is on at the beginning, after the exposure time reaches a threshold length, the ND filter is removed before changing the ISO and the shutter speed is increased by the number of stops that the ND filter is. Of course, this would be a manual process. Perhaps an audio alarm to alert the user that it's time to take it off. The opposite process could be used going from night to day - once the shutter time goes below a threshold, the ND filter is added and the exposure time is decreased by a corresponding number of stops.

Otherwise, I love the way that this has been going. Kudos to both Gunther and Zoltan for this great collaboration!
#2 hubaiz
Will see with Gunther if we could add such a feature.
#3 nerdybails
This feature could extend to graduated ND filters, I do have a tendency to drop(remove) a grad ND filter after the light drops to a certain level and the foreground usually darkens out too hard.
#4 RvDam
Does a ND Filter function already exist in qDSLRDashboard Holy Grail option?
#5 Novelectro
Thought I might bump this thread. I was contemplating asking a similar question because I like to use a 6 or 10 stop ND before the sun sets. Had been wondering how I might be able to pull this off. As of now I guess I would have to somehow unscrew the filter while simultaneously exposing down 6 or 10 stops on the software. If it were automatic it'd be way easier.

...also check out: