• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Filesize too large

#1 grwiffen
I wish to upload my files to the internet, to YouTube or Vimeo but the export files are too large for this type use.

Can anyone help me to reduce file sizes?

Thanks
#2 Gunther
Usually you would use a video editor to combine your sequeces, add music etc. Then you can export from there with 5-10 mpbs for online use.
The Files we export from Lightroom have a fairly high bitrate to allow room for further processing.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 grwiffen
Thanks for the advice, but can you recommend any s/w thats easy to use, good for a novice, but powerful enough for me to grow with as I get more proficient?
#4 Gunther
I like Sony Vegas Moviestudio Platinum on Windows, it's easy, not too expensive and powerful...
#5 grwiffen
Ok, but now Im getting really confused with video codecs.

I wish to do different things with my time lapse files:
upload to Youtube, Vimeo or Flickr
Embed into my own website
Allow others to use / embed them

I have made a video from Lightroom at 720 & 24fps.

I took that into Movie Studio, added music & titles and exported as a couple of different sizes, but it wont let me create a .MOV file or upload to Youtube? Not sure why but guess its to do with quality.

ANy ideas on which export options to use at which stage?

Many thanks
Graham
#6 Ulli
For mov you need Quicktime on your machine.
Take mp4 at the same dimension and framerate you go into Movie Studio. BTW 24fps is cinemastandard but unusual for use at a computer. Upload this single file to Vimeo - you can use it for showing online, gave person permission for downloading at different sizes generated by vimeo and you can embed it on your Website. No need to generate different files for the different things you want to do with your timelapse ;-)
#7 Gunther
Just make sure to use H.264 MP4 for export with 10MBps, that will work fine for youtube, vimeo etc. Chose the same framerate than you chose in Lightroom when exporting. It doesn't matter if 24, 25 or 30 fps - it's up to you - just keep it the same across the chain.
#8 grwiffen
"Just make sure to use H.264 MP4 for export with 10MBps, that will work fine for youtube, vimeo etc."

Sorry to be so thick here, what do you mean by H.264 ? And when in the process and in which s/w should I be choosing this?
#9 Gunther
You export the big sequences from Lightroom, put it into a video editor, cut it, fade it, add music and then when exporting from the video editor (Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas Moviestudio etc.) choose MP4, H.264 with Max 10MBps.
#10 grwiffen
I'm using Movie Studio platinum and its doesn't have this option? Hence my confusion.

Do you know if it can be added as an addon?

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on video codecs as I am very confused by all of this. I thought putting timelapses up to Youtube was going to be easy, but it doesnt seem that way.

...also check out: