• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

final renders flat

#21 Gunther
Th same that I wrote to Richard also applies to you. Please send me the material that I requested in my last post. Otherwise I cannot reproduce it and try to find a solution.

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#22 Gunther
I've asked a professional colorist and video editor that works on Mac and also uses LRTimelapse for some quite advanced work, about his experience. I'm translating this from German for you, I hope it makes the situation on macs with P3 display a bit clearer.
Quote:No matter which output format from LRTimelapse 5.5.x I choose, both as intermediate and target shape, I get clips that are correct in terms of color and contrast. I checked it, as I have been doing for a long time, at the video output via Blackmagic and AJA cards on a calibrated video reference monitor (just bought a new 4k HDR) and waveform. I looked with Resolve as the playing system and Final Cut Pro and Avid.

At the video output, the video is in perfect order in all systems and corresponds to my Lightroom Edit ... but ... then we come to color management and, to be more precise, monitor management.

If I play back 709 material in Quicktime or FCP and my computer display is working in a P3 standard mode, then the Apple translation, which in my opinion is a graded translation, leads to interpretation errors that look exactly as described - material has less blackness, it looks lifted. If I work with my computer display in a 709-calibrated mode, then it looks correct in the preview of FCP and Quicktime.

That also explains what the one user had written that it looked correct on his external display, which is probably not P3. The Macbook display is P3 ... and leads to irritation. Different profiles between different displays.

The fact that it was not "noticed" in versions prior to 5.5 was due to the fact that there the footage was misinterpreted differently, which, however, interestingly led to a better result on P3 displays with Apple conversion. But many did not even notice the color deviation there...

More about the topic e.g. also here: https://www.thepostprocess.com/2020/03/1...-displays/

Resolve has now introduced a REC.709-A (Apple) in the latest version ... which makes things even crazier ... and you can create even more false files.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewt...1&t=114047

You see, even now that LRTimelapse creates "correct" colormanaged files, color management doesn't end here - in fact it just begins. Check out the additional links, if you are on wide gamut P3 Mac displays to better understand what's going on.

One thing is for sure: older versions of LRTimelapse are not the solution, they just do things wrong in a way that apple randomly interprets closer to the original under certain circumstances (P3 display), but not in general.
#23 identitaet
Hi Gunther,

thanks so much for your help and also the more detailed explanation from your friend. That's extremely nice. I can confirm that I finally got it working in my Macbook 16".

My workflow is the following:

LrTimelapse 5.5.5:
- Exporting from inLightroom as Tiff 16Bit
- Rendering with LrTimelapse as ProRes 444, Bt.2020, Full Range

Davinci Resolve 16:
- Activate "Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers" in the General Settings
- Configure Project as described here: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-dav...s-with-lrt
- Exporting the Video as ProRes in Resolve and ... tadaaaa ... the colours of the video opened in Quicktime matching Lightroom perfectly

What a relief! And I have to admin, I learned so much new stuff.

But there is one question remaining from my side: If Davinci Resolve can export 422 1-2-1 that matches the colours from Lightroom in Quicktime, is it possible in a future version of LrTimelapse to configure the renderer exactly the same to circumvent an additional step through Davinci Resolve?

Thank you and greetings
Mathias
#24 billwood@ameritech.net
Gunter I am having the same problems as @richardwatsonphoto as I have pointed out. Now a new problem has cropped up.
I am running a ImacPro Mojave 10.14.6. I have Adobe Digital Negative Converter 10. I import my files into Lightroom , open LRTL 5.5.6 beta 2, go to the files in the tree and get them into LRTL. I do a Key-frame wizard and Save. I then go to Lightroom and read the metadata from the files and do my adjustments on the Key-frames and save the metadata. I then reload into LRTL and do the Auto-transition. I then press Visual Previews, after some time the red line does not appear and if I go to Force Quit on my Mac it says that multiple iterations of Adobe DNG are not responding. (screen shot included). I have deleted and re-installed DNG to no avail. I have never had this problem.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#25 Steve
For the flat render issues. What do the images from LRT Export look like? I've run into a flat image problem too, but not from the render process but from the LRT Export from LightRoom itself. So, garbage into the render image produces the same garbage out.
#26 Gunther
No. You should have read the whole thread with my explanations before claiming such things.
The exports are in Rec.2020 color space, you need to use a software that is properly color managed to display them. Just using Mac or Windows standard image players won't display them correctly.
Load them into Photoshop and you'll see that they will get interpreted perfectly.
The same goes for the video. If you render in Rec.2020, you need a software that is properly color managed and can display the wide color space. If you don't know, what I'm talking about, rather render the videos in Rec.709 which is more compatible, because it has a smaller color range and will be understood by every player and editor.

I've explained the color management in my video where I show the news in LRT5.5: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/lrtimelapse-5-5/
#27 Steve
Okay, my bad. I'm not an expert and have proven and verified that once again. Yes, my LRT Export jpegs look flat. I thought what you saw in a jpeg was what you got. I was wrong. importing them back into LR should have made me ask more questions when I clearly saw they showed the full dynamic range. And, as Gunther suggests opening in Photoshop also shows the full dynamic range. And, yes rendering in LR Timelapse using the 709 Gamut also produces the desired full dynamic range.
I'm usually accepting of change. This time, seeing flat images out of LRT Export was a change I thought was bad, unacceptable or possibly my use of old, perpetual license Adobe products. I cried wolf when I shouldn't have. Possibly a heads up during the upgrade might have forewarned me of the change, what to look out for and what to do about it. To soon old, to late smart.
#28 identitaet
I would like to add to the discussion, that on my Mac M1Max the rendering directly from LRTimelapse and playback in Quicktime is absolutely perfect now when exporting in Rec2020.

Colors are matching perfectly, so the workaround via Davinci is not always needed anymore.

...also check out: