• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

final renders flat

#11 richardwatsonphoto
hi gunther i have some sample images to add to this thread but I cant see how to add attachments
#12 Gunther
You can add attachments at the bottom of a post. You could also send them via email to support@LRTimelapse.com
Please make sure use a Color managed video player for any comparisons, see faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-whi...-rendition

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#13 richardwatsonphoto
hi gunther
I thought I'd replied to this but for some reason it didnt appear on the site - must have pressed the wrong button.
ok so the forest bed shot attached I did some crazy edits on the colours to make sue the edit was being applied full stop which it is.
I also added a very strong radial filter to create vignette to the image.
its maybe harder to tell from that sample the issues but you can see how the darks just arent that dark, shadows are brighter leading to the image being flat. I also dont think the full effect of any gradients or radials is being applied which also gives the feeling of the final render looking less dramatic.
the second sample is a mountain scene and its more noticeable there. the sky grad doesnt seem to have much effect, colours so horrible and flat. its like a raw image.
on the forest scene one screen grab is how the image looks edited in Lightroom the other is after I've dropped it into my final cut timeline.
please please help as its driving me crazy.
I'm guessing by the volume of people on here having the same issues and not being able to rectify it based on the 2020/709 advice that something with MacBooks, final cut may be the issue.
I've attached one other screen grab showing my LRTlightroom export panel - I have the option to select 709 output but never any mention of 2020 as per some of your advice to others - does it set as 2020 by default just? I've heard you mention advanced settings but I dont see any ways of accessing these.
thanks for your help and patience.
I'm in the middle of a long term timelapse project and feeling frustrated as everything worked fine until I upgraded a month ago.
In the forum I havent seen anyone who's had this problem seem to have it resolved.
hopefully there is a fix.
thanks, richard
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#14 richardwatsonphoto
heres the other 3 images. wouldn't upload in one post
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#15 Gunther
Hi Richard,

Quote:I have the option to select 709 output but never any mention of 2020 as per some of your advice to others - does it set as 2020 by default just? I've heard you mention advanced settings but I dont see any ways of accessing these.

by default the LRTExport Plugin will export in Rec.2020 just to preserve the large color space as long as possible.
I'd recommend to leave it like this and NOT check "Export as Rec.709". Then LRTimelapse will do the conversion to Rec.709 if you choose that in the Render dialog.

In the video renderer you can choose Rec.709 or Rec.2020 depending on the cababilities of your video editing program. Currently Davinci Resolve seems to be one of the few to correctly work with Rec.2020. Here is how to set up Resolve: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-dav...s-with-lrt

If you are using any video editor that doesn't to proper color management, I'd suggest to stay with Rec.709.
  • If you can, enable Color Management in your video editor.
  • Make sure that the video editor recognizes the color rendition of the clips correctly, often you might need to set it manually.
  • Set the input color space to Rec.709 Gamma 2.4 for all LRTimelapse clips.
  • Set the Input levels to "Full" or "Limited" according to how you exported from LRT.
Again, in an ideal world, the video editor would detect the formats correctly, but if you experience differences in the colors or contrast, this might not be the case.
  • Too little contrast can happen if footage exported with Limited Range would be identified as Full Range.
  • Too high contrast can could mean the opposite.
  • Also false contrast could be connected to a wrong Gamma setting.
  • Washed out colors happen, if Rec.2020 footage would falsely be identified as Rec.709.
  • Oversaturated colors could occur, if Rec.709 footage would falsely be identified as Rec.2020.

I'm planning to do another video about the color management and how to set it up correctly in a modern video editor like Davinci Resolve. Unfortunately I can't say too much about Final Cut, because I use my small mac only to build LRTimelapse and otherwise don't work on it.

I'm sorry about the complexity of this topic, but that's not related to LRTimelapse. It's just that color management in the video world is a quite complicated matter and every involved piece of software has it's own deficiencies especially when it comes to color management. For example Quicktime, which seems to do color management in the latest versions is not even able to play back MP4 files with 422 subsampling. You need to render MP4 in 420 subsampling, or choose ProRes for better subsampling instead.
#16 richardwatsonphoto
thanks for your reply.
I'll look into a few additional things you've mentioned. most of the others I've already tried.
it worked fine (getting exactly what you'd edited in Lightroom as the final renders) until the latest version.
it just seems a shame to me that we cant get the look of our edits hence I wanted to downgrade to an older version which I'd still like to if it can be made available. everything I've exported since the upgrade just looks awful.
I'll look into your pointers.
#17 Gunther
If you need to finish your project and you really think LRTimelapse 5.4 would deliver better results (I doubt it, I wouldn't have changed the color management if there haven't been issues) - you can always uninstall the current LRTimelapse and reinstall LRTimelapse 5.4 from the Download Page -> Older Versions.

Of course this will not help us figure out what's going on.
#18 richardwatsonphoto
I appreciate your time and patience in trying to sort this out but I downgraded to 5.4 and everything running smoothly as I was used to. was having too many bugs with the new version such as the gradients not appearing at times.
I'll keep an eye on solutions to the problems that other people have flagged and hopefully upgrade when there is an answer.
thanks again for all the work you put into this.
r
#19 Gunther
Hi Richard,
if you have 5 minutes to spare, you would really help me understanding, what's going on by sending me some files from your workflow in LRT 5.5.
To do so, please reinstall the latest LRTimelapse 5.5 from https://lrtimelapse.com/download/ then redo the problematic sequence, reexport with the new LRTExport and rerender from LRT 5.5.

Please send me a short sequence from your original raw files including the XMP sidecars (10 images), the same 10 images from the LRT_* folder that you exported from Lightroom (LRT_00001-LRT_00010), a screenshot of the export settings in Lightroom and a Screenshot of the render dialog in LRTimelapse with the settings that you chose. Also please add the exported video with the false colors.
Put everything into a ZIP file and send it via https://fromsmash.com/ to support@lrtimelapse.com
That would really help!
Thanks
Gunther
#20 identitaet
Hi there,

I am stepping in here as well, because I have similar issues outlined in another thread. I spent a lot of time figuring out every possible combination settings with 5.5 but in the end I gave up. I appreciate the time you invest here, Gunter, but this is rather frustrating.

I've downgraded to LrTimelapse 5.4 and everything works as it should immediately so for me using 5.5 is no option anymore. As explained in your post, the footage was either with not enough or too much contrast or blown out hightlights in case contrast and colours did match.

What's a bit confusing for me: I understand that you don't knowledge this is something wrong in the LrTimelapse renderer itself but in the Player software or not the correct color management in the editing software. But at the same time it works fine with the LrTimelapse 5.4 settings. So I guess something must be off here.

My best guess is it has something to do with ColorSync on MacOS in combination with the Display P3 color profile. That would explain why it does work on an external monitor but not the Mac Display itself.

...also check out: