• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

firmware updating weirdness (Pro Timer 2.5 and Pro Timer 3)

#1 chasg
Ok, I have a Pro Timer 2.5, and just acquired a Pro Timer 3 as well.

tl;dr couldn't mount either Pro Timer on my Mac, and only the Pro Timer 3 will mount on my PC. Both Timers have fully-charged batteries.

The steps:

The 3 had firmware 27, so I immediately double-clicked into update mode (confirmed by the clock on the Pro Timer freezing), and I couldn't get it to mount on my Mac (M1 Mini, OSX 12.4 Monterey). I tried 23 micro USB cables (I have a lot of cables), and three different USB ports (the 2 ports on the back of the Mini, and one on my Caldigit TS4 thunderbolt dock, which I confirmed works by testing with an external hard drive and a USB key).

I should note that I upgraded my Pro Timer 2.5 to firmware 29 when that firmware was released, and I did it on this same computer (with the same version of the operating system). What I didn't make a note of was which micro-USB cable I'd used to successfully update the firmware (thus my need to test all the cables).

So, to eliminate the Pro Timer 3 as a variable, I put my Pro Timer 2.5 into update mode, and tried all the cables and the 3 USB ports. No success, it would not mount.

Then I confirmed that I was using a micro USB data cable by connecting one to my A7RII and that then successfully mounted on my computer (frankly, I should have done this first, to avoid testing all 23 cables, ha ha. Not a lot of sleep last night). So I knew I had a good data-capable micro-USB cable, and I tested another one as well, so I had two data-capable cables to work with.

Using these two cables with multiple USB ports: neither the PT 2.5 nor the PT 3 would mount on my Mac (to confirm: they were each in update mode). I restarted my Mac, still neither Timer would mount.

Luckily, I have a PC running Windows 10 (it's a headless server, off in a corner of my studio). So I moved to it, and successfully mounted my PT3 there with one of the confirmed data-capable cables, and upgraded the firmware of the PT3 to version 29, yay!

But there is another problem: my PT2.5 would _not_ mount on the PC, even though I got a "USB connected" sound when I plugged it in. Device Manager sees the PT2.5, but I couldn't figure out how to mount it. I know a lot less about PCs than I do about Macs, I'm afraid.

That is the remaining mystery from this little saga, and I worry that I won't be able to upgrade the PT 2.5's firmware when a new version comes out (Gunther, you can solve my problem by never releasing firmware version 30, ha ha).

Any advice on how to mount both of my Pro Timers on my Mac (my main machine), or how to mount my PT2.5 on my Windows 10 machine?
#2 Gunther
Usually the PRO Timers are not really picky on the USB cable, it just needs to be one which transmits data (not a charging-only cable). But most do.
I have a Macboock M1 Max and latest Mac OS here and if I connect any of my PT, they mount instantly.

Since you could mount the PT3 on the Windows machine shows, that the hardware is ok.
Why it doesn't mount on your mac - honestly, I don't know. USB drivers sometimes act weird. It's strange though, that you say you have updated the PT in the past on that computer. So something must be off now.

The 2.5 might have an issue with the USB port, if it doesn't mount on the machine where you can connect the PT3. This is very rare, but you never can fully rule out a hardware problem like a broken USB data contact.

If the 2.5 is still insider the 2 years warranty (starting with the date on the invoice), you might contact your dealer for a replacement or repair. If you need assistance, drop me an email and send me your invoice.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 mopperle
I had a similar issue I could never solve. On one Windows 10 laptop I was never able to update the PT 2.5, whatever I tried. I could mount it, but the moment I dropped the firmware to the device, the complete system freezes. It worked on a MacBook and another Windows 10 machine (I do not have anymore) with the same USB cable.
Now I upgraded Windos 10 to 11, but so far never tried a firmwareupgrade.
Gruß/regards

Otto
#4 chasg
Well, the 2.5 still charges, and it makes a "USB device mounted" sound on my Windows machine. My 2.5 is far out of warranty, unfortunately, so I'm happy I happened to have bought a 3 (but that's not _why_ I bought a 3, just coincidence).

The fact that I can't mount the 3 on my Mac continues to be baffling, when it mounts immediately on my PC.

If I can access another Mac, I'll try them both there, and come back with an update.

And I have a lot of micro-USB cables that came with power banks (charging only cables), but they are all jumbled in a bag, thus my need to test them all (even though it turned out to not be necessary, LOL).

...also check out: