• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Folder browser Mac Version

#1 eikeb
I don't know whether its hard to set the top folder to the users directory in the Mac version. Normally every Mac users stores his data in that folder so its quite unhandy to always have to look for that folder in /Users/nickname/. It's also confusing to have all the unnecessary folders shown in the list. For example the system folders.

best regards

Eike
#2 Boris.Leonov
(2011-03-09, 12:43)eikeb Wrote: I don't know whether its hard to set the top folder to the users directory in the Mac version. Normally every Mac users stores his data in that folder so its quite unhandy to always have to look for that folder in /Users/nickname/. It's also confusing to have all the unnecessary folders shown in the list. For example the system folders.

best regards

Eike

+1 here for this feature; though it's not that critical…
Regards, B.Leonov
#3 Gunther
You can pass the startpath via commandline option. I don't know how this is done on a mac, on Windows you basically make a Shortcut to the Exe and in the properties of the shortcut you add the path to the field labelled "target".

For example:
LRTimelapse.EXE C:\Users\gwegner\Pictures

Does anyone of you mac users know how to do this on mac? Please write a reply!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 eikeb
You could do so on the terminal which on the other hand is quite unhandy. Under mac there is no such thing as shortcuts as far as i know. So the user friendliest thing would be to read the current users home directory and use that as the default path if that is possible.
Music
#5 Gunther
Try this:

Right click .app bundle, select "Show Package Contents", navigate to Info.plist, double click it, find

<key>Arguments</key>
<string>PUT_PATH_HERE</string>

Add you start path where the red string is.
Please tell me if it works.

(I just added the Arguments key, so please download the Bundle again, if you don't find it...)
#6 eikeb
It does work but its not quit what I'm looking for. It just solves the problem for one user and for one copy of the program. Every time I download a new version I would have to change it again. Thats not that handy.

In addition to that the whole filesystem is shown in the folder view. On a Mac that doesn't really make sense because ALL User data is stored in the users home directory. It would be enough and cleaner to just show the subfolders of that directory. It is not necessary to see all Folders if you know what I mean. It just takes up a lot of space with information that is not needed. If you need screenshots concerning the problem just tell me.
#7 Gunther
I understand your position and I promise I will think about a solution.
But please take into account that I develop LRTimelapse as a platform independent software. I develop it in my spare time and I don't have the time to make different versions for different platforms. The mac launcher has been a contribution from the community and I'm really grateful for that since it makes the installation on mac a lot easyier.
#8 eikeb
I totally understand that it will take time to implement functions. I more than appreciate your work, time and effort. I just wanted to make the feature I would like to see clear so you could implement it if you find the time. I want to help you make a good piece of software. So if I find something minor that bothers me I tell you so you can decide whether to take it in account or not.

I just thought about the matter again. It is not as easy as I thought. Getting the home folder in all operating systems seems to be done like this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/56787...va-in-os-x (I guess you are using Java) But if you use that as the top folder you get problems when the pictures are located on an external hard drive. So this doesn't solve the problem. Maybe you can get rid of the folder chooser and use a standart file/folder open dialog (best the one native to the operating system) where you can choose the folder. This would save space in the main window and would solve the problem.
Again those things above are just ideas i get that I want to share with you to make LRTimeLaps better. It depends on you whether, when and how you implement them.

Best regards

Eike
#9 Gunther
Hello Eike,
thank you for your contribution, I really appreciate that. I only wanted to make the platform independency clear...
Yes I'm using java, so a native dialog would not really be an option.

On the other hand - I think most serious photographers have their images on an external drive so maybe the case that you have to navgate to your profile folder is not that much an issue.

I'm planning to add a cfg File in the future where the last path ist stored so that it's reopened when you relaunch the application.

Kind regards
Gunther
#10 eikeb
Hi Gunther,

I really appreciate the platform independency.
You are right. I store my photos externally, too. Thats why I came across that problem in the last post. Just for the first test I chose to use lokal files.
Maybe I am a little spoiled by the clean and easy to use interfaces on a Mac. But I see a problem for users that are technically not that advanced. Many of them would not know to search for their home folder in "/Users/" or to look for their external drives in "/Volumes/". Coming from a Linux background this isn't a problem for me. But I can imagine that there are people out there that don't know this. For them it could be confusing to see this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1587962/folderview.png

Best regards

Eike

ps: Wir können uns auch gern auf Deutsch weiter unterhalten da sich ja eh kein andere am Gespräch beteiligt Wink

...also check out: