• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Foreground flashing lights causing major flicker

#1 Hathenbruck
Heya,

I have been having an issue with one of my time lapse sequences. I shot a cityscape that has a lighted billboard that cycles through ads. In the time-lapse, it just looks like it's flashing a bright light. The problem is that light is making a huge amount of flicker in the sky, and I can't seem to get rid of it. Today, I decided to re-edit an old time-lapse of cars going down a city street. with LRT3, it was very smooth, but with the re-edit in LRT4.1, I'm getting flicker in the sky, due to the car lights flashing by. I'm going through the correct step, and even isolation the luminance curve to the sky only, but that doesn't seem to help at all. Is there anything that I might be missing? Thank you!
#2 Gunther
It's most likely the lightroom adjustments that you used. Especially Clarity and the new Dehaze filter can introduce such effects.
See here: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Hathenbruck
I hardly every use clarity, and I've yet to use the dehaze filter. I'll clear all the edits, and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks
#4 Gunther
If not, it might certainly help to post some screenshots. In the basics LRT3 and LRT4 work the same, they don't manipulate any images, just animate the settings you do in LR. So apart from Holy Grail and Deflicker the results between LRT3 and LRT4 won't differ with the same edits.
#5 Hathenbruck
I'm adjusting a few things, trying to get it cleaned up. I actually did have a bit of clarity in these two sequences, moving the slider to zero helped, but the flicker is still there. I'm in the process of adjusting some other settings. If I can't get it to smooth out, I'll create a snapshot and post the video. Thanks again.
#6 yannick_c
Using old Adobe Process 2010 rather than the 2012 could also help getting rid of those "content aware adjustments" problems. You won't have the same tools to edit in Lightroom, but it could be usefull for those type of sequences that cause problems.
#7 Gunther
Some of the old tools in LR3 were even worse with this in my experience, I wouldn't recommend using the old process.
I'm most likely going to remove support for the old process in the next version, since apart from you :-) obviously nobody uses it anymore:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-whic...rtimelapse
#8 Hathenbruck
With the adjustments I made, I couldn't get the flicker to go away. I've only noticed this issue when there are flashing lights somewhere in the time-lapse. There really isn't anything very extreme with any of the sliders, and clarity is at 0. I have a snapshot, I just don't know exactly where it's saved, or if it can even be shared Smile here's a link to the low res version of the time-lapse

https://youtu.be/D3CUIN44Ig8
#9 Hathenbruck
Here are a couple screenshots from the sequence. I'm particularly curious about frame 593, why does it have a red box? Could that be the issue?

#10 Gunther
I'd recommend to not pull the smooting slider for visual deflicker so far to the right. Just drag it only so far that the flicker gets eliminated and the thick green curve still is close to the pink one.
Additionally I'd not set the reference area so smal, make it a little bit bigger, so that it covers the buildings in the top part too.
Then appy deflicker again.

The red square is only the frame where you set the reference area to, it does not matter. If you set another reference are just make sure to choose "static".

After applying the visual deflicker the first time if you still have some bumps in the pink curve, apply it again with the "refine" option.

...also check out: