• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Night Sky Flickering

#1 connorS1110
    When I use the standard visual workflow method of putting together a timelapse of the night sky, I end up getting a result with these clearly visible rings of varying degrees of brightness that pulsate (see attached picture), making for a very distracting render. Is this just the result of my render settings (rendered at H.264 75 mbps), something I'm doing in LRTimelapse, or something about the method I'm using to take the pictures (Set on manual with ISO 160 F 3.5 Shutter Speed 6 seconds on Canon 80D)? Any help would be appreciated.
#2 Gunther
That image is way underexposed. You are only using a fraction of the bandwidth that your raw files offer.
Go for much higher ISO (3200-6400), use a faster lens if possible.
The effect that you see is called Banding - it might even happen, if you expose right, but it's less likely. The reason is mostly the way that video compression works. Use the search feature here in the forum for that term, we already discussed that a couple of times and you'll find some solutions. But the key thing is to expose your images correctly.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: