• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

G12 raw CR2 not supported

#1 xeryan
Hello!

First of all, thank you for this amazing piece of software. I've managed to process some of my timelapse work with LRT (only jpg's) and it looks great. But it seems that the software is unable to read information from Canon Powershot G12 raw CR2 files (no error is reported, the exposure is read as 0, no mean values are read, no blue graphic is being drawn), although Lightroom has no problem with these files. I tried to initialize the files by using LRT and I also tried to initialize the metadata using LRT preset in Lightroom. None did the job. I have read this post: Workflow for Cameras whose RAW-Previews are not supported, but this is not only a preview problem as no data is being recognized. Wondering if is there any chance for a future improvement..

#2 Gunther
Normally LRTimelapse should be able to read the metadata, if Lightroom writes XMP files. Could you please have a look into you images folder and check, whether there are XMP files after writing them via "Save Metadata" from Lightroom?

Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 xeryan
(2011-10-11, 22:59)gwegner Wrote: Normally LRTimelapse should be able to read the metadata, if Lightroom writes XMP files. Could you please have a look into you images folder and check, whether there are XMP files after writing them via "Save Metadata" from Lightroom?

I confirm that the XMP files are being created via "Save Metadata". Not sure where to go with this right now. I have sent you a CR2 sample, maybe you'll find out something or maybe it's just something I'm doing wrong. I really appreciate your help. Thank you!
#4 xeryan
Wondering what fields inside the xmp file you are using in order to calculate the Mean value. I have compared the xmp file generated for a G12 raw with one generated for a EOS 5D. No big differences. Still, no value is shown in the Mean column and no graphic is being drawn. Maybe I could find a way to tweak the G12 xmp's in order to make them work with LRT. Thank you, again and sorry for sending you the CR2 file without permission, I've been a bit enthusiastic about it! Smile
#5 Gunther
Xeryian, I just checked your file. There seems to be something strange going on.
Lightroom seems not to write out any XMP-Data for those RAW files.

Try to delete all XMPs in your image folder (I suppose they have been created by LRTimelapse) - than edit you images in Lightroom, go to grid view (G) and hit CTRL-S to save the metadata. Now look into the image folder - on my experiments there have been no XMP Files been written.

Can you confirm this?

If that's the case you should contact Adobe regarding that issue - for me it seems like a bug in Lightroom.
#6 xeryan
(2011-10-14, 23:32)gwegner Wrote: Xeryian, I just checked your file. There seems to be something strange going on.
Lightroom seems not to write out any XMP-Data for those RAW files.

Try to delete all XMPs in your image folder (I suppose they have been created by LRTimelapse) - than edit you images in Lightroom, go to grid view (G) and hit CTRL-S to save the metadata. Now look into the image folder - on my experiments there have been no XMP Files been written.

Can you confirm this?

If that's the case you should contact Adobe regarding that issue - for me it seems like a bug in Lightroom.

It`s strange because on my experiments it had no problems. It works with or without _LRT_ plugin. I'm using Lightroom 3.5. I can send you a xmp sample created with Lightroom if you want to go forward with this.

#7 xeryan
This topic can be closed. LRTimelapse can be successfully used with the Canon Powershot series. You get no thumbnails, no deflickering algorithm with raw files, still the rest of the features work as expected.
#8 craftypics
(2011-11-10, 13:42)xeryan Wrote: This topic can be closed. LRTimelapse can be successfully used with the Canon Powershot series. You get no thumbnails, no deflickering algorithm with raw files, still the rest of the features work as expected.

I can confirm XMP files are written. I have used LRtimelapse previously with RAW files from 50D and 5Dmk2

Sorry... No deflickering ?? What exactly is LRtimelapse used for then with the G12 ?
The feature I want to use and the whole purpose of LRtimelapse is to Deflicker is it not.

Ive just purchased a G12 to save the shutter life of my DSLR when doing timelapses. Since it shoots RAW I assumed/hoped I could use LRtimelapse the same way I did with the RAW files from my 5DMk2 and my 50D. I must say I was a bit suprised that it didn't deal with them and a bit of a obstacle to my current workflow.

I dont think this thread should just be closed. I have no idea why it doesnt want to work with the G12 RAW files but I'd like to assist in getting it working where I can

#9 xeryan
(2011-11-13, 15:17)craftypics Wrote:
(2011-11-10, 13:42)xeryan Wrote: This topic can be closed. LRTimelapse can be successfully used with the Canon Powershot series. You get no thumbnails, no deflickering algorithm with raw files, still the rest of the features work as expected.

I can confirm XMP files are written. I have used LRtimelapse previously with RAW files from 50D and 5Dmk2

Sorry... No deflickering ?? What exactly is LRtimelapse used for then with the G12 ?
The feature I want to use and the whole purpose of LRtimelapse is to Deflicker is it not.

Ive just purchased a G12 to save the shutter life of my DSLR when doing timelapses. Since it shoots RAW I assumed/hoped I could use LRtimelapse the same way I did with the RAW files from my 5DMk2 and my 50D. I must say I was a bit suprised that it didn't deal with them and a bit of a obstacle to my current workflow.

I dont think this thread should just be closed. I have no idea why it doesnt want to work with the G12 RAW files but I'd like to assist in getting it working where I can

Hello!

I know exactly what are you talking about. I use LRT to control the exposure, crop and other settings (saturation, tone curves). I always shoot manual even with the G12 so I get no flickering. At times (when the exposure goes more than -/+ 1 EV and this happens mostly at dusk/dawn) I ramp the ISO so I have to deal with it back in LRT. Sure, I would like to have the deflickering option available for my CR2 files if that would be possible but I can live without it.
For some reason, CR2 files from this Canon compact/bridge cameras are not following the same standard used in DSLR ones.
#10 Gunther
Quote:Sorry... No deflickering ?? What exactly is LRtimelapse used for then with the G12 ?
No, it isn't. Deflickering is certainly one feature, you can even use it with a 2pass workflow on your RAW files as well. Besides of Deflickering the Focus of LRTimelapse lies in ramping parameters, making transitions and so on - this is fully supported for your RAWs as well.

Probably the next version will add support for a whole bunch of cameras for which today no previews can be loaded. Unfortunately I'm pretty busy at the time so I can't make any promises when it will be ready. But I'm sure it will be worth your patience.
Stay tuned.

Best regards
Gunther

...also check out: