• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting rid of the long exposure heating dots

#1 Ashbay
Hello,

First post on this forum where I've found a lot answers to my questions so far but I couldn't find one to that problem that occurs with long-night exposure shots.

Yesterday I tried a sky lapse for the first time, with a 20 sec exposure at 1250 ISO. I thought the processing would be pretty straight forward as there is no exposure change over the 3h I spent shoot whatsoever. But when I render the sequence, I found some blu - red - white dots on the shots that could be taken for stars... apart from the fact that they are not moving! I found out this is an common artefact produced by the sensor on long exposure, due to overheating.

Easy to get rid of on one shot, not so easy over 500, especially when those dots seem to move around after a while (I've tried the clone tool in lightroom to minimize the impact)

Does anyone ever experience that and is there a workaround to easily get rid of those heating dots?

Thanks a mil!
#2 Gunther
If the noise reduction of Lightroom doesn't help, than I fear you will have to stamp them out. Do this after finishing your LRTimelapse Workflow in the last step. Use the clone tool and syncronize this cloning to all images before rendering the video.

Try different cameras if you can. My Nikons are barely showing that symptoms (dead pixels).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Ashbay
(2012-11-15, 11:41)gwegner Wrote: If the noise reduction of Lightroom doesn't help, than I fear you will have to stamp them out. Do this after finishing your LRTimelapse Workflow in the last step. Use the clone tool and syncronize this cloning to all images before rendering the video.

Try different cameras if you can. My Nikons are barely showing that symptoms (dead pixels).

Thanks for the tips

I was pretty sure I have to go through that!

Cheers

...also check out: