• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HDR (High Dynamic Range) RAW Time Lapses

#1 kobusphoto
Hi,

I'm new to LRTL, so please excuse if this topic has been adressed (could not find anything in the forum)

I'm currently doing a long-term time lapse where some of the action takes place in the moving shade of tall buildings. To compensate for this I've set my Canon 6D to do one exposure for the shade, and one exposure for the brighter areas in the scene (shooting in RAW also)

My question is about merging the dark and the light timeline into an HDR sequence. The way I'm currently doing it is to do my grading & de-flicker on both timelines seperately in LRTL, then I create a 32bit project in After Effects and set the blending mode of the two timelines to 'add'. I then play with levels and curves to get a relatively natural looking result. The only problem I encounter doing this is ghosing on frames where subjects moved during the 2 exposures.

I would like to know if there is a better way of batch merging the bracketed RAW images (using adobes' already existing 'merge to HDR pro' that I know can automatically remove ghosts) without purchasing another piece of software? Or if there is a way in After Effects that can reduce the ghosting effect I encounter?

Your thoughts would be appreciated
#2 Gunther
You could use the new 32bit HDR DNG introduced with LR6, LRTimelapse will seemlessly work with those.
The only thing is that currently I'm not aware of a way to create those DNGs in a Batch process, but maybe you can figure out something, in that case, let me know!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Gunther
LRTimelapse does not support tiff. You should find a way to convert to DNG.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: