• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help on LRTimelapse Module in dslrdashboard

#1 adphoto
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]When recording a T/L with Sunset + Auto Holy Grail there are situation when the histogram goes too right (overexpose).[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have realized that even if I press the "-" button on Set Reference nothing is happening.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I understand that the "Sunset" algorithm probably expects light to be decreasing over time, so going "back" is perhaps prohibited.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What I shall do in this situation to decrease the ISO or decrease the Shutter Time?[/font]
#2 Gunther
Changing the reference is the way to go. Take care to change it early since it will take some time to adjust. In a sunset situation, setting the reference lower will basically delay the automatic adjustments that qDDB does, allowing the images to get darker. It won't however, make adjustments in the opposite direction. So make sure from the beginning, that the camera is set to produce a well exposed image.

If you really have to drastically change something while shooting (normally not necessary at all!) - turn off Auto Holy Grail change settings, click on "Set reference" when done, turn on Auto Holy Grail again. But again: normally if you do it right from the beginning, you never need this.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 adphoto
Yes, I fully understand the logic of the algorithm when doing a sunset that the image is always expected to be darker over time.

The problem is that I have a particular scene starting with a mountain (no lights) that pan into a populated area (homes with light) and thus the situation that I need to decrease ISO not increase.

So, it looks like the only thing to do is to disable "Auto Holy Grail" for the part were I have the "populated area", right?

So, what is the purpose of "Auto Direction"?

Thanks,
#4 Gunther
Auto direction was meant to do what you want, but it has never been fully tested (since it's very rare that you really need it). I wouldn't rely on it since it might unexpectedly change the direction back and forth and rather do it manually for that special case.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 adphoto
Ok, understand.

Can you please reply to my standing question:

"So, it looks like the only thing to do is to disable "Auto Holy Grail" for the part were I have the "populated - brightly illuminated area", right?"

Thanks for your quick reply!

...also check out: