• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Views of San Francisco

#1 soulish
After my first post last week, I decided to add some music to my videos, and learning how to do that and choosing the piece of music led me to make a full production. I set the video to Clair de Lune by Debussy and then cobbled together all of my timelapses from over the course of the last year plus to make this. This was my first attempt at editing video in any way. It took all weekend, and I had no idea what I was doing when I started, but it was a lot of fun trying to figure out which video would look the best with each section of music and trying to sync up little flourishes in the timelapses to moments in the music.

Thanks to all of you in the Showroom for inspiring me with your videos and encouraging me to make this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJmz9_emgDg
#2 Dale Davis
Beautiful work, well done !!! I am jealous.

Could you please tell me the average number of exposures you do for the timelapse? I use approximately 350-400 exposures over a 30 or so minute period. I use a different motion machine (Dynamic Perception) but it works the same way.

???Number of exposures per average timelapse???

thank you,

Dale
Miami
#3 daveyjoneslocker
Great work! The music is perfect and very calming. Beautiful city views!
#4 soulish
Thanks Dale and daveyjoneslocker! I'm glad you two liked it.

Dale, I'm definitely still learning and testing out new things all the time as concerns the number of shots and the interval and so on. But in general, I use an interval of between 4-6 seconds for sunsets, usually going for about an hour and a half, or maybe 2 hours depending on if I have time. So that leads to around 1200 shots or so for most of my recent work. Early on, I was limited by the free version of LRTimelapse to 400 or 600 shots, but then I got the Pro and am unlimited. It takes a while to process so many shots, but since I'm now generally outputting at 60 fps, it's somewhat necessary.

For some of the nighttime ones, I'm looking for a much longer shutter speed to capture the airplane streaks, going as long as 15s, so there I need to use an interval of 18-20 seconds, and so I'll capture closer to 300-500 going over a couple of hours.
#5 harrystranger
Beautiful work!
Very calming and it makes me want to invest in some motion control even more now .
#6 soulish
Thanks harrystranger, if you want to dip your toe in motion control, the Syrp Genie Mini II is what I used here. I have two of them, plus the connection piece, but honestly, in most situations I think the vertical movement isn't necessary (and could be achieved later by outputting the entire image (4:3 or whatever) and then scaling with movement in your video editor at 16:9). That's just to say that you can get most of what you want with just a panning unit.
#7 harrystranger
That's true! My camera shoots in 2:3 so I always export in that format so I have room for vertical movement when cropping to 16:9.

...also check out: