• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail - interval

#1 nikonman05
Hi!
The nights are getting shorter and shorter above the Arctic Circle. Now i`m about to try the Holy Grail with Qdslrdashboard. I´m thinking also using a slider and or TB3, and opt for a maybe 9-10 hours shooting. Against the west north-west there is now always some remains of the daylight in the nighttime, and I also hope for some Northern Lights. So since I not have done this sort of shooting before, I´m not shure of the interval. The exposure time I think will be max 5 seconds and the shortest will be very short with the sunset light. Maybe if the interval is too short, the film will be too long and boring
So what interval is the best if let say I want the result to be an 9 hour film, and it should not be to choppy? Do you have any suggestions Gunther?
#2 Gunther
I'd do rather more images and later you can still cut some intersting parts out that are slower and additionally make a full version that you speed up in post even more. The interval depends a lot of the speed of the clouds too - if any. Best would be to have a day without or with very high clouds only.

Maybe if you do 10 secs interval and a max eposure of 6 or 8 seconds? I'd give it a try before, to see, if your setup works with only 2 seconds darktime (if you go for 8/10).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 nikonman05
Ok thanks! There is not much clouds these days, but there are a lot of northern lights. So the latter could end up choppy. So maybe the best is to have a day/night with no clouds and only slow moving northern lights (but you never know). I think I will go for not more than 10 sec interval, that way i will end up with 3240 images in 9 hours. Then I have exactly filled up my two 64 gb cards with D750 shooting compressed 14 bit images.
#4 nikonman05
Another thing that come into my mind: What about the batteries? If the TB3 and or the slider run out of battery, everything will stop I assume. Is there a way around this through a day to night shoot?
I have a XTPower 23000mah battery to power the TB3 and slider. In an indoor testrun, I see that the battery power dropped from100% to 97% in a very short time.
#5 Gunther
For me the 23000 XT Power can power an emotimo and slider and camera for 12-14 hours. But if you want to shoot longer, just use two of those batteries in parallel, when the second one has been connected, you can remove the first one. A simple box with one input and two output DC jacks will do.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 nikonman05
Ok, 12-14 hours should be enough Smile But I will keep in mind the parallel-solution for the future Smile

...also check out: