• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail - 'Match Total Exposure'

#1 summitwalker
I notice a little bit of an exposure change where my holy grail bumps were. It looks pretty good, but I'm wondering, as a general rule, should I be sticking to 1 stop adjustments in the field? In the sunset time-lapse I'm working on to learn this process, I did 2 stop adjustments in exposure, and I'm thinking this could be my issue. Also, as you mentioned in the tutorial, sometimes when using the 'Match Total Exposure' option, it is sometimes necessary to still tweak it a little to get ** and *** to look as close as possible. Again, could this be caused by my using a 2 stop adjustment in the field, or is the 2 stop adjustment acceptable and I just need to do some more fine tuning?

Awesome software by the way!

Thanks in advance.

LP
#2 Gunther
One stop is generally better in my opinion, but it really depends of the scene and the camera sensor.
The "weakness" of MTE mostly is because of strong edits in the images or very dark images that LRTimelapse cannot exactly match. Smaller adjustments will help with this as well. I found 1 stop to be a good compromise.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 summitwalker
(2013-06-21, 08:23)gwegner Wrote: One stop is generally better in my opinion, but it really depends of the scene and the camera sensor.
The "weakness" of MTE mostly is because of strong edits in the images or very dark images that LRTimelapse cannot exactly match. Smaller adjustments will help with this as well. I found 1 stop to be a good compromise.

Thanks, I will use 1 stop in the future, like I said, it still looked pretty good, there was just a small bump, I'm sure I can fix this with a little more effort. I will also spend time browsing this forum as well, seems this has been covered before. Smile

LP
#4 alexnail
I've now shot loads of scenes using LRTimelapse. It's true that 1 stop jumps work for most scenes, however if you have a scene with clipping of any of the channels then 1 stop jumps can be very obvious.

Last thursday evening I shot the crescent moon setting behind a church as the sky became darker I needed to increase the exposure to maintain the silhouette of the church I was shooting. As a result the moon starts to get brighter in relative terms and it started to clip. Even though I was shooting with 1/2 stop exposure steps this still produced a very irregular transition of the moon in the final clip. Fortunately it was possible to fix by adding colour modifications and using LRTimelapse to transition them (for example I desaturated yellows and shifted the hue to orange). There are only 3 ways to avoid that:
HDR: but that involves too many shots, unwanted complexity and in this particular case severe problems with ghosting.
Bramping: which could be even worse unless you REALLY know what you're doing
Underexposure: which is probably the best solution provided you can push the shadows sufficiently in PP.

Incidentally I suggest not using MTE because it doesnt do as good a job as you can do manually and yet it encourages you to ignore small jumps in brightness.

Alex
#5 Gunther
Hi Alex, thank you for sharing your experience. I agree to your point. MTE however can be a good starting point for further tweaking.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: