• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail - Noticeable iso & shutter changes in render

#1 helloiamrory
Hey guys.

I have given the holy grail workflow a try and I have a slight problem.

Take a look at the final clip here. I did everything as per the tutorial video for processing but I still have some barely, but noticeable changes in light where I have altered the iso or shutter speeds.

While shooting this I decided to give a try to changing both the iso values and the shutter values. Admit-tingly, I should have changed the shutter values first and then the iso, but I did it the other way around.

Only changes that I made in my workflow that differ from the tutorial video, is that I changed the shadow, highlight, blacks and whites value at each step ever so slightly. These were made at the right point in the workflow on the 2 star rated pic, values copied over to the 3 star rated pic and then exposures matched in lightroom. Then copying the value from the 3 star pic onto the next 2 star pic etc etc.

After auto-transitioning the values in Lrtimelapse, I set a deficker at the default settings.

Please have a look at this link and tell me what you think I might be going wrong.

[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFHIddNK5...e=youtu.be]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFHIddNK5...e=youtu.be
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Wich version did you use? In the latest beta (2.3 beta 2) I have made some changes that prevent deflicker to touch the keyframes - in former versions this could have happened.
If you didn't use 2.3 beta 2 please download it and try with that. Please let me know if that helped you!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 helloiamrory
(2013-02-06, 19:05)gwegner Wrote: Wich version did you use? In the latest beta (2.3 beta 2) I have made some changes that prevent deflicker to touch the keyframes - in former versions this could have happened.
If you didn't use 2.3 beta 2 please download it and try with that. Please let me know if that helped you!

ah I used 2.2.1

Could this really be caused by the deflicker?

Will 2.2.1 update to the beta version or is it a complete new install?

Also seeings as the deflicker has changed my xmp values, will I have to start the whole process all over again?

Thanks for your speedy response!!
#4 helloiamrory
(2013-02-06, 19:19)helloiamrory Wrote:
(2013-02-06, 19:05)gwegner Wrote: Wich version did you use? In the latest beta (2.3 beta 2) I have made some changes that prevent deflicker to touch the keyframes - in former versions this could have happened.

ah I used 2.2.1

Also seeings as the deflicker has changed my xmp values, will I have to start the whole process all over again?

On closer inspection it seems that this is not a deflicker issue but rather just that the sky in this scene physically changes its appearance due to the iso or exposure jump. Matching the exposure in lightroom works for the general scene correctly, but the actual exposure change has altered the appearance of the image in the sky and there is nothing really that can be done about that.

I will set a render to go overnight with the new beta version and perhaps just leave the deflickering off, but I dont think it is going to make any difference really.
#5 helloiamrory
(2013-02-07, 00:25)helloiamrory Wrote:

ah I used 2.2.1

On closer inspection it seems that this is not a deflicker issue but rather just that the sky in this scene physically changes its appearance due to the iso or exposure jump. Matching the exposure in lightroom works for the general scene correctly, but the actual exposure change has altered the appearance of the image in the sky and there is nothing really that can be done about that.

I will set a render to go overnight with the new beta version and perhaps just leave the deflickering off, but I dont think it is going to make any difference really.

Rendering with the new beta version with no deflikr did not really make any difference.

I am busy with a new render using the beta version with delickering turned on and will see if that makes a difference and report back here
#6 helloiamrory
(2013-02-07, 10:51)helloiamrory Wrote:

ah I used 2.2.1

Rendering with the new beta version with no deflikr did not really make any difference.

I am busy with a new render using the beta version with delickering turned on and will see if that makes a difference and report back here

And rendering out with the beta and deflicker made a small difference, but the issue is still noticeable. I will upload and post examples of each
#7 helloiamrory
(2013-02-07, 11:42)helloiamrory Wrote:
(2013-02-07, 10:51)helloiamrory Wrote:

ah I used 2.2.1

And rendering out with the beta and deflicker made a small difference, but the issue is still noticeable. I will upload and post examples of each

Here is a sample using the beta version with no deflickering:

[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPTjNiWx...e=youtu.be]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPTjNiWx...e=youtu.be
#8 Ulli
I think that's no matter of deflickering or LRTimelapse at all - in my opinion it's a problem of overexposure in the area near the sun - changing the exposure affects the appearance in this area more and different than in others and it's often impossible to bring those twei pictures together.
#9 helloiamrory
(2013-02-07, 12:55)Ulli Wrote: I think that's no matter of deflickering or LRTimelapse at all - in my opinion it's a problem of overexposure in the area near the sun - changing the exposure affects the appearance in this area more and different than in others and it's often impossible to bring those twei pictures together.

I totally agree.

This process of shooting the holy grail is then not the best option I feel. Perhaps a dedicated bulb ramper would be better suited
#10 helloiamrory
here is the beta version with deflicker:

[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzBGiGhrRg]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzBGiGhrRg

...also check out: