• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail Workflow...Keyframe Types/Uses

#1 adamchicago
I've run into the situation where Magic Lantern is making many holy grail bramping jumps (10 in my last project) throughout my timelapse and am wondering since there are so many, can I make all of the transition settings using those holy grail key frames alone (well in addition to the 1st and last default key frames) or do I need to use the default key frames throughout the middle of the sequence too?

Do the default key frames effect different settings than the holy grail key frames or do the do the same thing (except for the before and after bramp jumps).
#2 Gunther
Normally the do nearly the same thing, when deflickering the adjacent HG keyframes will lead to a "break" in deflickering, so you should use them for HG. If you use the key frames wizard it will decide if "normal" intermediate keyframes are needed. Without knowing your sequence it's hard to say more. If you want just post a screenshot of your preview with the curves here.
I would recommend not using magic lantern for bramping in the future...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 adamchicago
gwegner, thanks for the response.

What bramping intervalometer would you recommend...what do you use?

There are not many out there and I've already tried TriggerTrap for Android phones and it's very buggy, then Little Bramper is out of production, then there's one that requires a laptop (forget name) which is a pain for field work and lastly Promote Systems but because of the high price I've been waiting for a good recommendation.

Thanks for any help?

Adam

(2013-01-31, 11:05)gwegner Wrote: Normally the do nearly the same thing, when deflickering the adjacent HG keyframes will lead to a "break" in deflickering, so you should use them for HG. If you use the key frames wizard it will decide if "normal" intermediate keyframes are needed. Without knowing your sequence it's hard to say more. If you want just post a screenshot of your preview with the curves here.
I would recommend not using magic lantern for bramping in the future...
#4 Gunther
I don't use bramping at all, and here is why:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-is-a...ime-lapses

please check my "Holy Grail" video for a better method!
http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial
#5 adamchicago
Awesome...I'll give that a trySmile

I'm assuming you don't increase the ISO until the shutter duration comes close to the interval time. I'll have to find out using a Canon 5D2 how to change ISO quickly during a timelapse sequence...shutter is easy.

Thanks again!

(2013-01-31, 22:16)gwegner Wrote: I don't use bramping at all, and here is why:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-is-a...ime-lapses

please check my "Holy Grail" video for a better method!
http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial
#6 Gunther
(2013-01-31, 23:27)adamchicago Wrote: I'm assuming you don't increase the ISO until the shutter duration comes close to the interval time.
Exactly!
#7 Ulli
(2013-01-31, 23:27)adamchicago Wrote: I'll have to find out using a Canon 5D2 how to change ISO quickly during a timelapse sequence...shutter is easy.
Without further gear the only way is the ISO-Button on the top - unfortunately the dial direction for getting a higher exposure values is not the same as for exposure time, so think twice before adjusting ;-)

Uli
#8 Gunther
Quote:unfortunately the dial direction for getting a higher exposure values is not the same as for exposure time
If that's true that's a major usability issue on canon.. omg.
#9 Ulli
You're right but all other things are better compared to nikon ;-)

Just checked it - you get higher ISO-values when turning the top wheel clockwise - the same for exposureshift at the backwheel (-> + 2EV). Without pressing any button the topwheel changes the shutterspeed and turning it clockwise results in shorter times, in addition the backwheel changes the aperture to higher values.
#10 adamchicago
Ulli, thanks for the 5D2 iso tips...will give that a try. It seems like this going to come down to practice and speed with only 3-5 second intervals depending.

...also check out: