• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Homemade Motion Controller with LRTimelapse Pro-Timer

#21 SimenZhor
MLXXXp and ptweet, how do you guys feel about discussing this a bit tonight or some time during the weekend? I've started a Discord chat so it can be easier to discuss concerns and get a good grip of what we're trying to achieve. Join it here: https://discord.gg/jvUubxU (@me when you're in there, I'll be available from about 17-18 CEST (in 7-8 hours from this post)).

If we find out we're going to collaborate on a project like this We can still use this thread for updates on our progress Smile
#22 MLXXXp
(2017-08-25, 11:09)SimenZhor Wrote: MLXXXp and ptweet, how do you guys feel about discussing this a bit tonight or some time during the weekend?

Sorry, I'm not really interested in this project. I replied in this thread just to correct you about the LTR Pro-timer code size, and then offered suggestions when you said pin count for motor control was a problem.

I'll continue to monitor this thread and can answer questions and offer suggestions here, but that's about it.
#23 ptweet
(2017-08-25, 11:09)SimenZhor Wrote: MLXXXp and ptweet, how do you guys feel about discussing this a bit tonight or some time during the weekend? I've started a Discord chat so it can be easier to discuss concerns and get a good grip of what we're trying to achieve. Join it here: https://discord.gg/jvUubxU (@me when you're in there, I'll be available from about 17-18 CEST (in 7-8 hours from this post)).

If we find out we're going to collaborate on a project like this We can still use this thread for updates on our progress Smile

I am interested, but I am not a coder. I work with cnc machines, and I have a few good idea. I hope to get like minded people together on a project and to cooperate in that project. I missed the chat, but I would like to talk with you further.  The question for me is is all this worth the hassle when for $350 we could have a working board from dynamic preception?
#24 SimenZhor
(2017-08-25, 14:58)MLXXXp Wrote: Sorry, I'm not really interested in this project.

I'll continue to monitor this thread and can answer questions and offer suggestions here, but that's about it.

Too bad, you seem to have more knowledge than me when it comes to motor drivers. But no problem, thanks for the help so far Smile

(2017-08-25, 20:18)ptweet Wrote: The question for me is is all this worth the hassle when for $350 we could have a working board from dynamic preception?

I can't answer that question for you. If you have $350 to use on something like this, then it probably is not worth the hassle. Buying a production quality product that's been developed by a team over several months (if not years) will most certainly be better than what we can smack together on a low budget Arduino Uno project. For me personally though - I was planning on doing something like this anyway. But for me the project is more valuable than the product! I won't use a motion controller very often (maybe once or twice a year), and I'll be doing this mostly for learning purposes. If I'm doing it alone (like I planned to), it'll probably drag out, I'll buy new components when I realize the limitations of what I got, and it probably won't really be that cheap anyway. The reason I joined this chat was to maybe gather a little team who could discuss these things in detail before starting, so we would be aware of limitations and maybe work around them or buy the correct product at the first attempt. I'll gladly stick with my original plan though, no problem at all Smile
#25 niko_at
Hi, i just found this forum. Until today, i was only looking at the german forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrti...ee-deutsch)!

Short Info: i am actually on the way to build a slider and extend the "LRTimelaps-Pro-Timer-free" software to control this slider.
Just for finishing the mechanic (Linear Slider 1.2 meter) I also take focus on building this as cheap as possible, because i also do not want to pay $350,- or more for the complete solution.
I also will follow gunthers idea, making this as free project for everyone, who is interested in this.
I will implement this so that it meet my needs and try to achieve maximum usability.
So if you want, that i take into account your ideas or wishes, let me know.
P.S: I am not only a coder, i am also an electronics engineer. So adapting or selecting the right components for stepper etc. is no problem for me ;-)

Best Regard
Klaus Heiss from Austria
#26 PedroF
Hi Klaus,

I am glad you are in! We can do some nice things sharing here our projects.
Luckily if you have coding experience I think you can give some help with the project I made because at this point I have everything gathered/wired but I need some help combining the LRTimelapse code with so many open source codes for Arduino stepper motion control.
I have LRTimelapse intervalometer and used it with QDslrDashboard and for me it's the perfect combination (thanks agains Gunther!) but I miss the motion control. Therefore in this past week I gathered a project using Arduino pin D12 for trigger, D11 for step and D13 for direction and wired these components according to the attached schematic.
-Same Arduino Uno as the Intervalometer,
- the same shield I used for the intervalometer (https://www.itead.cc/wiki/Arduino_1602_LCD_Shield)
-Ratrig Slider (ratrig.com)
-A4988 stepper driver with voltage regulator (https://www.pololu.com/product/1183/pictures)
-NEMA 17 stepper driver for carriage slider motion control (latter will come pan and perhaps tilt with smaller steppers).
-Provisional 8V battery (8x1,2V rechargeable AA battery's) for powering all the "system".

Today I made a small wiring test of the system and debug of the code.
I used an open source sketch (https://github.com/RobTC/SliderCam)  edited just to change the trigger pin for the same as LRT (pin 12) but the Intervalometer features of this sketch are a "Milky Way" distance from what LRT intervalometer can do.
So at this stage I think the next step will be combining this or any other code for motion control (using LCD 1602 shield) with the LRTimelapse intervalometer code.

It will be very helpful if you Klaus (or anybody else) can give  some help on this project! Maybe we can do some affordable and nice motion control and learn something at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Best regards and a nice day for all the timelapsersWink

PedroF
Attached Files

.pdf   Wiring Motorized Slider.pdf (Size: 339.13 KB / Downloads: 20)
#27 niko_at
Hi Pedro,

thanks for your welcome message!
You will have to be a little bit patient. I already came through all your mentioned problems and solved them. I will need a few days - maybe also weeks - but when finished, i will introduce it here with all infos in a new project thread. And yes, at the moment i prefer to extend the latest "LRTimelapse-Pro-Timer_free" version with this feature. I want to save money and held things simple where it is possible and where it make sense.

so long
Klaus
#28 niko_at
Hi,
does someone know good cheap pan/tilt mechanics. I ask before I start with DIY.
i googled a long time, but didn't find useful mechanics.
Otherwise i have already brought my DIY plan on paper and have to find, where i can build and assemble these parts.
#29 niko_at
Hello, on German forum I just found, Flow has realized this project:
see: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-pro...controller

Here you may find answers to your questions!

My question: Who is really interested in this project? please post it here - thanks!
#30 PedroF
Thanks Niko!
Nice help.
I will look at it and keep working.

...also check out: