• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to deflicker time lapse - 2 Pass advanced workflow

#31 dividor
(2013-11-24, 18:20)dividor Wrote: Hi Gunther,

My apologies, I've been through this thread and the vimeo tutorial, but I still cannot seem to get deflickering to work. I see a nice smooth deflickered curve in LRTimelapse, but after updating metadata and rendering in Lightroom, the flickering has not been fixed.

Here is the workflow I am attempting ...

===== In Lightroom
1. Export RAW (.cr2) Images from LR to folder (because I use lightroom to initially import from camera)
2. Remove these images from Lightroom
3. Reimport folder to Lightroom
===== In LRTimelapse
4. Click Import
5. Click Initialize
6. Click Keyframes wizard - No Holy Grail method, accept automatic keyframes selected
7. Click XMP Save
===== In Lightroom
8. Select all images in folder, Metadata >> Read Metadata from Files
9. Adjust keyframes (basically left untouched, other than to increase luminescence in last few key frames)
10. Highlight all key frames, Metadata >> Save metadata to files
===== LRTimelapse
11. Click Reload
12. Click Autotransition
13. Click de-flicker. Set de-flicker area (section of sky where nothing else is happening). I know see a nice smooth curve (see screenshot attached)
14. Click XMP/save
===== In Lightroom
15. Select all images (both key frames and non-keyframes), Metadata >> Read Metadata from Files. I see the keyframe updates, also the exposures vary very slightly, so it looks like the deflicker has been applied
16.Select all images in folder, export using LRTimelapse plugin. (i) Don't select checkbox to render with previous settings; (ii) Specify output path
===== LRTimelapse (render screen)
17. Confirm work path is correct
18. Render

The video still has flicker, the same as original image set

I am running LRTimelapse 3.2.1 and Lightroom 5.2.

Many thanks,
Matt

Actually, please ignore the above. I tried an additional export to JPEG, then de-flickered again, and it seems to work. I was a bit silly and didn't notice this very suggestion on this thread and your ebook!

What is weird is that as I understand it, this final pass is required if the images are edited significantly from the original jpeg previews. I found that for my sequence, even if I don't touch the keyframes (ie no editing), I need this additional export and extra deflicker. Perhaps I'm still doing something wrong, but thought I should mention just in case.

thanks!
Matt
#32 Glesto
The XMP data could be written back to the header, then the DNG's could be read back into Lightroom or AE or whatever.

samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 hülle
#33 Gunther
This might due to Previews, that already have edits, for example in camera contrast settings, like active D-Lightning. Just make sure to turn off all in camera editing to get flat previews. If you use DNG make sure to not have any XMP settings applied, before converting to DNG otherwise LR will embed already edited previews.

Im working on a solution, that will enable deflickering on the processed sequence (like in the 2 pass approach) not on the unprocessed previews.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: