• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to implement more parameters without cluttering the GUI?

#1 Gunther
Has anyone of you a brilliant idea how to implement even more development parameters without the table getting huge and confusing?

I would appreciate your ideas!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 Joachim Buambeki
You could group the values like that:
The crop values could be displayed as a single column until they are expanded by doubleclicking. A triangle that points downwards shows the column isn't expanded, and when you double clicl on it it points to right. The non-expanded column could be the standard dark colour and the expanded could be a light grey for example.
This way one would have the values displayed that are interesting for oneself without having to scroll horizontally.

Can you imagine what I have in mind Gunther?

Best Regards
David

#3 Gunther
Hello Joachim,
I understand. Unfortunately I fear it will get quite complicated to implement this because I'm using (nearly) standard Java-UI Elements and would have to change them completely. Furthermore you would have the problem, that in collapsed state it's not obvious if there are changed properties inside or not.

I got another Idea:
What would you say if I would collapse ununsed columns? In most use cases there are a lot of unused parameters, I should be able to hide them without affecting usability an get more space for the relevant parameters.

Please tell me what you think!

best
Gunther
#4 Joachim Buambeki
(2011-02-24, 14:25)gwegner Wrote: Furthermore you would have the problem, that in collapsed state it's not obvious if there are changed properties inside or not.
You could mark collapsed columns with changed properties with a signal colour.

Quote:What would you say if I would collapse ununsed columns? In most use cases there are a lot of unused parameters, I should be able to hide them without affecting usability an get more space for the relevant parameters.
That sounds good, but since I use so many parameters when developing a RAW file I am not sure how much it would help to streamline the UI in my case.

Best Regards
David
#5 Boris.Leonov
Yes to collapsed columns and color-coding;

Also separating groups of columns as modules inside Lightroom, ie. White balance and exposure group; Crop and orientation group; Split toning group; Gradual filter group; These groups could be color-coded and collapsible.

Personally I don't find current UI too complicated as long as it follows logical grouping and groups are well defined and labeled.
I don't mind scrolling through lots of controls, and after all it's a professional tool aimed to pro's who'd choose more control over the footage.

Regards, B.Leonov.
#6 Gunther
I think I found a way to do it. Please have a look at Version 1.1.2.

I implemented it as follows:
  1. Columns that have no changed items will be collapsed by default, usually you don't need them, this way you will usually get a much cleaner ui (exept you animate a lot of parameteres)
  2. there is a checkbox to show all columns like before.
  3. Parameter groups are being clustered through colorization

Please tell me what you think.
#7 Boris.Leonov
(2011-03-03, 11:40)gwegner Wrote: I think I found a way to do it. Please have a look at Version 1.1.2.

I implemented it as follows:
  1. Columns that have no changed items will be collapsed by default, usually you don't need them, this way you will usually get a much cleaner ui (exept you animate a lot of parameteres)
  2. there is a checkbox to show all columns like before.
  3. Parameter groups are being clustered through colorization

Please tell me what you think.

Looks good! Thanks!
Regards, B.Leonov
#8 eikeb
Some more thoughts from my side. Just as brainstorming ideas. I stil think the user interface is not bad at all.

- Only show necessary data. Do I need to know all the values? For example do i really nee to know the position of the rectangle. I can see that in Lightroom and when I'm done edititng I switch to LR-Timelaps. There I might not need to see them. Maybe just which settings change over the images not how they change.

- Show a list (kind, values that are effected) of transitions (perhaps also deflicker) that are made to the pictures (mor like Layers in Photoshop). Then you could change the transitions later in the process again. This could lead to project files where the transition data is stored. Just save the changes to the files when you hit "export".

I know that is a totally different approach and a lot of work to implementWink But perhaps these ideas lead to new ideas that can make LR-Timelaps even better than it already is.

Best regards

Eike

...also check out: