• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to make night look like night

#1 AnarchyAcres
I'm new to LRTimelapse and Lightroom. I love them both! Here is my question:

I've shot several sunrise and sunset timelapses so far. I'm figuring out color grading and each time I "render video" the result looks a little better. But my biggest problem is how to post-process the shots taken when it was nighttime. When I look at the raw files out of the camera, it's hard to tell the difference between night and day. I want the final video to give a strong feeling of "after dark," without making the frame completely dark. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Here is an early effort I did. This link should be good for a couple weeks. It's obviously not show quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wh_rgccbBg

Thank you for a great product. I look forward to any advice from the community.
#2 Gunther
You definitely should keyframe the exposure on holy grail keyframes and make the night images darker. Additionally you can also keyframe white balance and saturation to get a more distinct difference between night and day.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 AnarchyAcres
Thanks, Gunther. I'll try those idea and let you know how it works out. I did indeed have keyframes and the settings were different between day and night. But I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the different settings should be, both as a matter of simple good technique, and additionally what kind of style or artistry should be applied on top of that.
#4 AnarchyAcres
I ended up taking the night scenes down by around 2.5 stops in lightroom. Although I have not had any really good sunsets or sunrises to photograph so far, I was able to find some color and make an interesting sequence. Here is my best effort so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9heYePYXkTs

This was a Canon 70 d, ISO 160, f2.8, 10 second interval provided by Magic Lantern. I just used aperture priority nothing fancy beyond that.
#5 Gunther
Well done!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: