• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to use Auto Holy Grail with DslrDashboard

#31 malcolmp
I have been wondering this as well.
I saw Gunther made a point that you should avoid shooting with clouds in this case.
Or just shoot 15 seconds at higher ISO.
Problem with both suggestions, clouds are often what makes a timelapse interesting, and shooting at 15 seconds causes playback to be half the speed that it should be for enjoyable playback at 30 fps. I suppose you could use a longer focal length to get the speed up....but then you crop the sky.
Looking at the MX2, it has the ability to change interval live on the fly.
I am going to try this out tonight. Basically, as the shutter speed in the Holy Grail mode increases, I'll change the setting on the MX2. I will ensure manually that there is a correct corresponding change on the MX2.
Starting in day at 3 seconds intervals, using holy grail mode targeting eventually 30 seconds at iso 3200... when the shutter speed goes to 1 second, I will change the interval on MX2 to 4, when it hits 2 I change MX2 to 5 and so on...now this may blow up in my face, but there has to be a way to do this.
#32 Gunther
If you interval timer supports ramping the time, you can of course do that. Just make sure that the longest exposure in qDDB is always 3 seconds below the interval.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#33 malcolmp
I ran it on a slider, and the acceleration you predicted was evident. Next time I will experiment with just a static tripod hoping to reduce this effect. In the meantime, processing with LRT was flawless and most impressive. Its just a test, but I certainly got the best day to night transition I've ever created. The moon is too bright to try long exposures so I only ramped up to 3 second shots at 1600 iso with interval changing from 3 seconds to 6. Tonight I won't ramp interval. I will do as you suggested and keep the same interval from day into night. Of course I expect it to be fine with your advice but it will be nice to see it for myself. Cheers, Malcolm
#34 JonathanDeanMay
I know that an external intervalometer is not expensive, but the requirement to use one seems to go against your philosophy of using the minimal amount of equipment. (I don't really know if that is your philosophy, it's just something I've assumed because you've mentioned it a couple of times in your eBook :-)

I also assume that your recommendation not to use the DDB intervalometer is because for some reason the jpgs are not passed back from camera to DDB's LRT module, so no running average exposure can be calculated.

Do you think that DDB could one day be tweaked so that jpgs shot using it's internal intervalometer were passed back? A question for Zoltan perhaps.

Until then I'm going to buy a Pixel Timer :-)
#35 Gunther
The latest interval timer in qDDB works quite well and since the App now is rather stable, you can use it without fearing to loose the sequence due to a crash of the app.
#36 JonathanDeanMay
Ah - thanks for that. I was going to upgrade to qDDB so the presence of a functional intervalometer is added incentive.
#37 JonathanDeanMay
For sunset holy grail, you say "If you use Sunset, choose the longest Shutter time on the DDB screen and the maximum ISO."
Is it the same for a sunrise, or the opposite?
Thanks
#38 Gunther
Longest Shutter is not necessary for Sunrise since first the ISO will be lowered then unit the lowest value then Shutter time will be decreased.
#39 JonathanDeanMay
Understood... I guess that the first shots (predawn) will be using max desired ISO and slowest shutter anyway. qdslrDB now successfully running on my tablet, so no excuses now Smile
#40 JonathanDeanMay
A successful first sunrise TL this morning. An easy one as there was a bank of cloud on the horizon so the camera never had to deal with direct sunlight. But nice colors and movement higher up. Memo to self; 8 gb card is not enough :-)

I am struggling to understand how it is possible to holy grail from change-of-light to milky way, (or vice versa), when the long interval required for milky way (eg 20 sec) would be way too long at dawn or dusk when any movement or change of light would play back way too fast.

Interval ramping has been mentioned here but seems to be a rogue suggestion :-) not widely accepted. [/font]

...also check out: