• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to user LRTimelapse with Photoshop CS3 / CS4 / CS5 (extended)

#21 Gunther
As I said: Develop -> ACR, Library -> Bridge ;-)
Have fun! And don't hesitate asking any questions, they are welcome!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#22 gbrewer2614
I am experimenting with a time lapse (JPG images) using Adobe Lightroom 3 and LRTimelapse 1.6 as you discuss in your third tutorial. The exception to your workflow is I am trying to use Adobe Photoshop CS5 for external editing, to do a better job of matching adjacent keyframes. I couldn't match adjacent frames adequately with Lightroom's develop module no matter how hard I tried, and Photoshop does it pretty easily. In Lightroom, you can select to edit an image in an external editor, rather than using it's own develop module. The problem is, when I edit the image, the settings data become un-initialized (blank) in LRTimelapse. I haven't found any settings or information in CS5 that explain why the develop settings are being cleared or not exported, if that's what's going on.

I noticed this thread is called "How to user LRTimelapse with Photoshop CS3 / CS4 / CS5 (extended)". Before I upgraded from CS2 to CS5, I talked to an operator at Adobe and asked whether I needed CS5 or CS5 Extended to do this and they said CS5 was adequate. Did they give me the wrong info, or am I just missing something? Thanks for your help.
#23 Gunther
Hi, I think there is a slight misunderstanding here, how LRTimelapse works. if you edit with photoshop you change the original JPG. If you edit with Lightroom, you change the metadata, that LRTimelapse is going to "animate".
So the former won't work.
You should definitely stick to the workflow using Lightroom. Getting the keyframes to match is actually pretty easy if you turn blacks to 0, and let fill light alone. Use the tonecurve instead to make your contrast adjustments. When you follow my advice, matching keyframes is merely a matter of shifting exposure!
Please try it out - and remember not to use any destructive editing steps (like changing images in Photoshop)

Best wishes
Gunther

#24 loforweb
Hi

I am currently testing LRTimelapse with my setting which is:

DNG files generated natively by my camera
Bridge/ACR CS6
Photoshop CS6

So my question is: LRTimelapse writes data in the sidecar .xmp files. However, my files are DNGs, so when I edit them with ACR, the .xmp is embedded and the new values are also stored into the DNG, and as a side effect, the .xmp disappear.

So this seems to be quite a problem later on for LRTimelapse who looks for .xmp files.

How could I get around this issue?

Thanks a lot for your help :-)
Laurence
#25 Gunther
No, this is handled intelligently by LRTimelapse, trust me. ;-) If it doesn't find the sidecar, it will use the embedded one - or which one is newer. LR/Bridge do the same. They will use the Sidecars if newer.
LRTimelapse prefers sidecars because they are much faster to read and write. Wished Adobe would also do so...
#26 loforweb
Hi

pardon me to come back with my issue, but I still get sidecars whereas my input files are dngs...

Here is my process: I take dng pics with a ricoh grd4 cameras. Then I import the files into LRTimelapse 3.4, and in the basic workflow: Initialize, apply the keyframe wizard and xmp-save. And then I get sidecar .xmp files created whereas I work with dng files.

Is it the expected behaviour? I would expect to get everything in the dng itself...

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
Laurence
#27 Gunther
LRTimelapse will write sidecar files for DNG to speed up the process. LR will read them, if they are newer. LR will then write directly to the files, and LRT will respect that. Just don't worry how - it will work :-)
#28 loforweb
Thank you Günther

just to be sure: I'm not using LR but Bridge and ACR. Is the sidecar usage the same with this other process?

Have a nice day
Laurence
#29 Gunther
Yes, it should be.

...also check out: