• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Impressions of testing V.1.4 (Mac)

#1 SteMar65
Hello.
I am an avid learner of this technique I discovered recently. I tried your software v1.4 beta (when the final?).
Can I list in my opinion, things that I found very good, and some less than modest suggestions:

good:
- The management of keyframes is remarkable and allows an infinite number of interventions
- The possibility of creating virtual movements without the aid of a dolly
- In general. I have not found anything as comprehensive and integrated with LR for metadata management in line with changes on them.

not good (to me ...!!):
- Like all applications in Java, uses an inordinate amount of memory! In situations with more than 1000 shots and you need a hardware performance significantly, especially if you want to keep open Lightroom. The deflickering is sometimes so heavy that the application sends a system with virtually hung 4Gb/1033Mhz ram and a quad core 2.5 Mhz and I have to force quit (kill), without knowing if the tool is working or if you just planted!
- On my imac (the features described above) I found that works almost exclusively on a single processor, perhaps the application is not written to parallelize batch jobs? If so, it would be a great advantage to work in multi-threaded processors.
- You can not always get good results from deflickering (perhaps it is not clear to me from the tutorials ...)

suggestions:
- Introduction of a function to sample the images to a given sequence of recovery. For example, if I took 1 picture every 5 seconds, but I want to use one of my same sequence every 20/30 etc. .. I am without having to select the shots one by one to skip a certain number.
- A progress bar of the business even when you process the deflickering and maybe a warning about the use of thresholds. It is not clear when the effect occurs more or less.
- I have not found a clear description of the use of linear functions (fade in / out / etc. .., about when should one or the other and the results they produce.

Sorry if I'm allowed, but mine are certainly not critical. Only impressions of a neophyte ...!!! Sorry for my bad English too (google translator ...)
#2 Gunther
(2011-08-22, 15:42)SteMar65 Wrote: Hello.
I am an avid learner of this technique I discovered recently. I tried your software v1.4 beta
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your feedback and Donation!

Regarding the performance and threading: the Application is multithreaded, but indeed it needs a lot of memory to cache the previews. Java on Mac has weaker performance than on windows.

Most of the things you mentioned have been improved in Version 1.5. Stay tuned, in a couple of days I'm going to release the new version.
There will be buffering for previews, more threaded processes (no more hanging) and so on...

Deflickering is one thing you will have to practice then you will get really good results.

Quote:For example, if I took 1 picture every 5 seconds, but I want to use one of my same sequence every 20/30 etc. .. I am without having to select the shots one by one to skip a certain number.
In 1.5 you can select every nth picture automatically. You could work on a copy of your folder and delete the unwanted frames with this method (works in the 1.5pre you can already download)

Quote:A progress bar of the business even when you process the deflickering and maybe a warning about the use of thresholds. It is not clear when the effect occurs more or less.
Included in 1.5 final

Quote:I have not found a clear description of the use of linear functions (fade in / out / etc. .., about when should one or the other and the results they produce.
normally you don't need them when you use keyframes, they are for manually overrinding.

Stay tuned for 1.5, best regards,
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 SteMar65
(2011-08-22, 16:08)gwegner Wrote:
(2011-08-22, 15:42)SteMar65 Wrote: Hello.
I am an avid learner of this technique I discovered recently. I tried your software v1.4 beta
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your feedback and Donation!

Regarding the performance and threading: the Application is multithreaded, but indeed it needs a lot of memory to cache the previews. Java on Mac has weaker performance than on windows.

Most of the things you mentioned have been improved in Version 1.5. Stay tuned, in a couple of days I'm going to release the new version.
There will be buffering for previews, more threaded processes (no more hanging) and so on...

Deflickering is one thing you will have to practice then you will get really good results.

Very odd that java does not behave better on a unix architecture as .... It should be exactly the opposite in my direct experience. However, even processing approximately 500 images from about 10mpx (which for a timelapse are not many) know that about 2.2GB of ram are now pre-allocated, as if the application would need to work immediately in that area of memory that reserves: in fact java is that, unfortunately ... To work more weight hardware resources begin to be truly prohibitive if one wishes to practice or if you do something wrong and you have to start over. I do not know if it will be possible in future to refine the use of resources, which I see as a critical point. I can not understand then why the 4 cores, only one is requested and I never see a job parallelized.
However, only feedback, I understand that behind there must be a monster and a lot of work, really a lot of passion and dedication! Congratulations and thank you for this!

...also check out: