• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Interior Hyperlapse: post processing

#1 QualtricsVideo
I'm looking for the in-depth Hyperlapse video tutorial for LrTimelapse in English. I found this German version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj-ugSiyprY.

I am learning how to better use LrTimelapse and am having difficulties with the shift in location causing lots of keyframes to be made. Nearly every image is a keyframe when I get back into Lightroom. Any tips/suggestions would be helpful.
#2 Gunther
Could you please clarify what you mean? Wich keyframes are you referring too? Could you please add a screenshot!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 QualtricsVideo
Yes, for sure! I shot an interior hyperlapse from the lobby of the Grand America Hotel in SLC, UT going through the hallways of a corporate event. Several of the hallways have huge windows that let in plenty of natural light. The rest of the shots were somewhat dark shot in areas that only had limited overhead lighting. 

I've set up my sequence in LRTimelapse and have tons of variation between the light and the dark. If there is an english version of the hyperlapse video, I'm sure I could figure it out. If not any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for an awesome product!
#4 Gunther
I think you shouldn't be using the keyframws wizard and holy grail wizard at all for a sequence like that. Just place some keyframes either manually ore with Keyframes->create keyframes (even spaced). Then do the workflow and use the visual deflicker to level the brightness as you want.
#5 QualtricsVideo
Ok, good to know. Thank you.

To explain a bit more: I took 3 bracketed photos (-1,0.+1) thinking I would make a HDR timelapse. This didn't work so well with the shutter-drag and had too much ghosting/artifacts with the moving people. 

So, I found a new feature in Lightroom in the Library tab under Photo>Develop Settings>Match Total Exposures. This was great and allowed me to balance all of the exposures for the bracketed photos. Now they all look really close in terms of exposure and overall brightness. Now the problems start happening when I take the photos back into LRTimelapse. 

I'm guessing when I use the Visual Workflow that trying to use the Keyframes Wizard and the Auto Transition option, they are overriding the Match Total Exposures from Lightroom and cause the exposures to jump all over from the original metadata at the (-1,0,+1) exposures. 

I have a few ideas from your suggestions, but any new ideas or approaches for this workflow would be appreciated. Thank you!
#6 QualtricsVideo
I've tried everything I can think of with my limited knowledge. Here is a screenshot of what is happening:

[Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/s3er....png?raw=1]

Again, help/suggestions are welcome.
#7 Gunther
This won't probably work out like you are trying to do it.
Match-Total-Exposures in Lightroom will do exactly the same as the Holy Grail Wizard.
For such HDR sequences either:
1) Merge the images together in Lightroom (Merge to HDR) and feed only the resulting DNGs into LRTimelapse (unfortunately you would have to merge every triple manually since there is no batch operation for this in Lightroom)
2) easier: use only the middle image of the triple and work with those. Mostly the dynamic range is more then sufficient, from seeing your preview I'd think you don't need HDR at all. To isolate the middle images in LRT, use Edit/Select every nth image -> then set 3 and as offset 1 - so that you select only the images with the middle brightnesses. Then right click on one of the selected images in the table: "New Folder from selection" - this will bring them into a new folder. Now load that folder, go to "Metadata -> Initialize" and work with the regular workflow.
#8 QualtricsVideo
Thanks for the response, one thing I'm learning to love about your product is how attentive and helpful you are!

So, the problem ditching the 1st and 3rd shots and going with the middle image (an option I was going to pursue originally) is that I lose key frames. The hyperlapse moves too fast as I took the 3 bracketed shots and then moved 3 paces forward. Having those 3 frames for every "position" really helps this feel more fluid and less jerky. Plus I really like the motion trails of the people as they walk by.

I use Photomatix Pro 5 (http://www.hdrsoft.com/) to batch merge multiple bracketed images into HDR images. Because my shutter speed went from 1/4 sec up to 1 sec, the amount of movement between shots causes extreme artifacts/ghosting in the images. 

So, is there any way to "bake-in" the new exposure settings I made when I used Match-Total-Exposures? I could always export to JPEGS first and then use the basic workflow, although I'd lose out on all the other control I'd like to have like finessing the RAW camera settings.

I've certainly learned a lesson to not cause these issues for myself in the future by not shooting bracketed exposures if they won't work in HDR.
#9 Gunther
You could use Photomatix to bring the brackets together, then convert the tifs into DNG in Lightroom and then use LRTimelapse with the DNGs.
#10 tyephoto
Due to lighting extremes, I find that I have to shoot a lot of bracketed sequences. I batch process in Photomatix first and output to a TIFF file, 8 bit or 16 bit. I've found that LRT will not read the tiff files, so I have to take the additional step of converting them to a DNG. Yet in the program tutorials it says LRT will work with TIFF files, is there something I'm missing? I've tried to import them using LRT and converting them to DNG, but I assume that only works if the source file is in a RAW format. So the conversion has to be done through Lightroom.

...also check out: