• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Interval Ramping Question

#1 tipper
Gunter,

I'm looking into buying the LRT Pro Timer.

One question about interval ramping. I've read the summary page but this is not entirely clear.

Am I able to manually change the interval on the fly whilst continuing to shoot? Or do I have pre-program the interval change?

I hope this question is clear enough but if there is any confusion I'm looking to shoot a timelapse where I know I will need to change the interval but I'm not sure exactly when. So pre-programming the time at which the interval will change to doesn't work. I need to eyeball it and then make the change live, in real time, at the appropriate moment.

How much flexibility is there with this feature?

Thanks.
#2 Gunther
Currently you can only start the interval ramping during an ongoing shooting. You can't preprogram it (this might be added in a future firmware).
The reason is, that I also found it's hard to predict, when to do the ramping. That's why I find it most useful to start shooting with a certain interval and during shooting when I feel I want to ramp for longer intervals (for example the sun has set, clouds are not too dominant and I decide to go until the stars, then I click to bring up the shooting menu, set the time for the transition and the destination interval (all while the shooting continues) and then start the ramping.

I hope this answered your question.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 tipper
OK great. So at this moment in time it can only behave like I want it to. Excellent! Now I've just got to find a way to buy this Smile I wonder if Amazon.de ships outside Germany...
#4 MMeier
Hi, Try mygermany.com to ship it if you are outside European countries where amazon.de does not ship to.
#5 pnyxxpress
I am also interested in this device and the option mentioned in this thread. It would be a nice feature to set your interval, start your session, and manually ramp the interval as needed and not rely on a pre-determined transition time.

As an example. My interval is set to 5 seconds. I start the session. As the sun sets I'm increasing my exposure. As the exposure passes the 1 second I would want to click the pro timer dial and increase my interval to 6 seconds.

Thanks
#6 Gunther
That's already possible. You can start the interval ramping at any time while the time is shooting. Please check out the manual on https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt/advanced-features/
If you want a rather quick change of the interval, use a short transition time.
#7 pnyxxpress
I agree it is possible to do what you mention. What you are suggesting seems to be a workaround using existing features.

I would be required to go into 2 or 3 menus and make various selections every few minutes versus a manual option to click the dial once every few minutes to immediately add time to the interval. This would be a great feature.

Thanks
#8 Gunther
Changing the interval abruptly from one value to another in my eyes doesn't make so much sense, because it leads to abrupt changes in speed in the resulting timelapse. Interval ramping in contrast, does the change slowly making it much less noticeable. That's why I'm hesitant to add such a feature.
#9 pnyxxpress
I understand your point. It would still be nice to ramp your interval in parallel with the exposure ramping. I guess I don't understand how you would know from session to session when and how much to start ramping. Every session is different. Thanks for the responses.
#10 c_joerg
gwegner Wrote:The reason is, that I also found it's hard to predict, when to do the ramping.

Why?
You just have to go after the exposure time. If the exposure time exceeds a certain value, then you can start the ramping.
You could also control the speed with it.

I do that in a CHDK script as well. I slowly increase the interval when the exposure time has reached approximately ¾ of the interval. I try to keep this distance about the same.

...also check out: