• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Intervalometer not always accurate with the intervals

#1 Sebgreber
Hello,

Hopefully someone can help, I've searched over the forum and not found any similar issues

I'm currently using a Nikon D3200 and SHOOT MC-DC2 Intervalometer for time-lapse,

Unfortunately each time I have issues with interval accuracy, If I use a 4 second interval (No "delay" or "long set) I end up with 4 seconds but also around 10-20% of the photos taken have 5 second intervervals between them
The same occurs with 6 seconds, I have around 10-20% of the intervals are 7 seconds.
I've tried longer and shorter exposures and intervals but I always have differences in interval

I thought it may have been the intervalometer, therefore I've tried a few apps triggering photos using IR, unfortunately I still see the same issue, its actually worse slightly, with +/- 1 second from target

Has anyone else had any similar issues?

I understand this isn't the newest of cameras, but would like to know if there's a fix or anyone else has any experience with this

Many thanks,

Seb
#2 Gunther
Since the intervals will be derived from the exif dates, which are being stored in full seconds only, a small deviation of a fraction of a second per interval will eventually add up to a full second. I'd not worry too much about it.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 rodrigo
Hi Seb, if I use an intervalometer set at 3 seconds I know that the interval in Ltr will be 5 seconds. I think the extra seconds are due to the time that takes from the shutter opening and closing, it could be that the counter in the intervalometer carries on counting as soon as it trigers the shutter rather than from the closing position. If I use an external controller like the Genie mini from Syrp or Pulse from Alpine Labs it is spot on. The extra 2seconds is not detrimental to the final result of the timelapse. Did you try reducing the interval by a second or two?.
Regards, Rod.
#4 Gunther
No, any interval always includes the shutter time. If you set your interval to 3 seconds and LRT displays 5 or 6 seconds, then the camera is missing every other shot.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 rodrigo
Thanks Gunther, I would look into it.
#6 Sebgreber
Hi Gunther, Rod,

Thanks for the quick responses, I won't worry about it, I may be imagining things when I see I slight jitter in the final renders, or it's something else that I need still need to learn about!

Seb

...also check out: