• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is silent mode possible with Nikon D850 while shooting Holy Grail using qDSLRDashboar

#21 Gunther
That's why I told you to shoot timelapse with liveview off...

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#22 hubaiz
On DSLR when you activate live view the camera automatically also enables host mode. On mirrorless you can disable host mode, you can also try to disable host mode, not sure if it will work on D850. Unfortunately while host mode is active the camera will only accept commands from the controlling application and will ignore the camera buttons including the external timer or shutter release.
#23 rgames
@hubaiz - gotcha, thanks again. Great app by the way - I use it all the time.

@gwenger - but there's no way to do silent shooting with bracketing when you turn off live view, is there? What I'm trying to do is change shutter/ISO while on a motion control device (e.g. Syrp Genie) and doing bracketed exposures for HDR.

I think I'm going to make the move to mirrorless because I keep spending a fortune on shutter and sensor repairs. Over the past 8-9 years I've had a D600, D610, two D750s and a D850. Those five cameras have had three shutter replacements and two sensor replacements, presumably because HDR timelapse really beats up the shutter and just creates havoc inside the lightbox. Today I again dropped off a D750 because it's having shutter issues and I imagine it'll have to be replaced again. So having a mirrorless option might save me some money.

The other nice thing about mirrorless is that I think I'll get more usable timelapses. On any given day I have about 50% odds of getting at least one sequence ruined by a dust spot that appears mid-way through the timelapse. Presumably these bits of debris are getting shaken onto the sensor because of the shutter/mirror motions, so if there's no mechanical motion then I expect I'll have a lower likelihood of shaking loose the debris that's collected in the lightbox.

Anyway, when I again dropped off my D750 for yet another shutter problem I revisited the D850's silent shutter options to see if I could make it work. I think the unfortunate answer is that I cannot, at least not for HDR timelapse sequences where I'm changing the shutter/ISO. Alas.

Thanks again,

rgames

...also check out: