• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is silent mode possible with Nikon D850 while shooting Holy Grail using qDSLRDashboar

#11 Gunther
With longer exposure times, shutter shock is also not a problem.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#12 nablaf
I'm trying to solve somewhat similar issue (trying to enable silent mode with qDSLRdashboard)

1) D850 connected via wifi to Android device (tablet or phone), using camera's internal intervalometer, silent mode works ok. Problem is that the wifi is not reliable, it drops out after some time. Probably because of Android's automatic standby mode which I can't fully disable..

2) D850 connected via OTG cable, camera's internal intervalometer is disabled, using external. Silent mode doesn't work or while the LV is on from qDSLRDashboard, triggering the external intervalometer but does nothing. Vice versa if LV is off, everything works ok, but the mechanical shutter is in use.

3) D850 connected via OTG cable to Android tablet, using qDSLRDashboard's own intervalometer, silent mode works ok. Auto holy grail mode works ok, but after some when I open the tablet I notice the setup has taken only images for a certain time period and continues image capture. I suspect the problem is also with standby modes.

4) Using D850 and external intervalometer, silent mode works just fine. But then without qDSLRDashboard can't do exposure ramping.
#13 rgames
Hi - digging up this old thread because it's now an issue for me. I am having the same problem - the D850 drops out of silent mode when qDSLRDashboard connects.

I'm using qDSLRDashbaord 3.5.7 on a dedicated android phone that has no network connections (so nothing is updated because everything works right now, except for this new silent mode issue). Has this problem been resolved in a newer version of qDSLRDashboard?

Alternatively, has anyone found another solution to this problem?

Thanks,

rgames
#14 Gunther
AFAIK silent mode on a Dslr only works in live view. The Holy Grail shooting in qDDB has not been designed to be used in live view mode. I've already wrote that in one of my former responses.

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#15 hubaiz
Silent mode on D850 will only work in live view. After activating live view in the qDslrDashboard properties page under the live view category you can enable silent mode but live view must be active.
#16 rgames
Thanks Hubaiz - I can't seem to find the setting you're talking about. I have live view activated and that works fine. Where do I activate silent mode? Is it supposed to be under the menu that slides out from the right when I touch the "LV" icon in the bottom right of the screen? I don't see anything related to silent mode under that menu.

EDIT - OK I think you mean silent live view mode is activated on the camera. Yeah it seems to work that way when I release the shutter from qDSLRDashboard. However, it seems I now can't control the shutter with a Syrp Genie Mini. Is there a way to make it work with the Genie?

Thanks again
#17 hubaiz
Nop, you press the 'Properties' button (second button from top on the right side). Then scroll to the 'live view' category and the silent mode button is after the grid and live view size buttons (by default it is off).
#18 rgames
OK maybe I'm in the wrong spot. I think you're talking about the icon with the hammer and screwdriver. When I touch that I see a bunch of options, including some related to live view. The attached image shows the live view section - I don't see anything related to silent mode there. Am I looking I the wrong spot?
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#19 hubaiz
Nop, that is the qDslrDashboard settings. Attached the screenshots that should help.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#20 rgames
OK - I got it now.

But it seems like that won't work with an external shutter control like the Syrp Genie, right? The camera goes into "PC" mode when I put it in live view from qDSLRDashboard.

So is there a way to change shutter/ISO when using silent live view with shutter control from a Syrp Genie?

Thanks again for the help!

rgames

...also check out: