• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ISO Ramping for Canon 5D Mark3

#1 rvsparky47
I have installed the newest Version of OpenWRT on a TL-MR3040 and connected it to my Canon 5D Mk3. I have installed the latest version of qDSLR dashboard on my Surface Pro 2 laptop. When I use the LR Timelapse feature with the Holy Grail sunset function the program ramps up my shutter time just as it should. However once the longest shutter time is reached it does not begin to ramp up the ISO. The camera is in Manual and the 'Safety Shift' is disabled (this disables the auto ISO feature) per GW's new e-book. All other settings are per the recommendations in the book. The shots I get look good when I run them through LR Timelapse 4 personal version. Just wish the ISO would ramp up so I could take them going later into the night. Thanks in advance
#2 Gunther
Most likely once you've reached the longest shutter time, the "dark time" (time between longest shutter and interval) is too short for qDDB to communicate with the camera and further change settings.
Try loweing the longest shutter time and see if that helps.
Apart from that, modifying the release cable helps tremendously with most intervalometers - this allows me to use dark times <1 sec. With the regular cable I need 2-3 Secs.
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 rvsparky47
Gunther, Thanks! I've rewired the intervalometer and I'll try it out tonight if it doesn't rain. The mathematical difference between the time of the interval (18 sec) on the intervalometer and the time setting (15 sec) on qDSLR dash was 3 sec but when I manually timed it actually seem to be 2 sec. between shutter close and shutter open. So I'll bump it up IF the rewiring doesn't resolve the problem. Again thanks
#4 Gunther
Interessant to know: If the camera shows 15 secs, it's in fact 16 secs. All times are to the power of two: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32.

sent mobile via tapatalk...
#5 rvsparky47
Gunther,

Thanks it worked. Even though the night was very cloudy it still gets dark. Once the time limit was reached it ramped up the ISO to the set limit. The 15 sec I alluded to previously was 15 sec for the Slowest Shutter in qDSLR DB (not camera setting) and that was selected from the dropdown menu. The 18 sec was the Interval Time. Also I discovered I did not select the smallest JPG's I selected the largest so I changed that as well this evening. That by itself should have made a big difference in overloading the buffer. Once again THANKS!!
#6 Gunther
Glad it worked out now!

sent mobile via tapatalk...
#7 Gunther
qDDB uses the "rounded" time notations too: always remember that in reality 15 secs on the camera are 16 secs.
#8 rvsparky47
Got it & thanks again. That explains the difference between theory & reality.

...also check out: